last trip bummer

5150abf

Vice Admiral
I had probably my last fishing trip of the year lined up,had to work a saturday and it was 65 degrees and beautiful so i figured i would get one last motorcycle ride in too.

On my way home i took a long short cut down a twisty country road on my way to the store to get some pork chops to break in my new grill, as i round a corner i see something out of the corner of my eye,took a second to place it was a doe running flat out.

i had about 3 seconds between when i saw it and it ran in front of the bike, it was going 30-40 and i was around 50, the last thing i remember is the front tire touching the deers rear leg so if it were running just a bit faster or i were going a bit slower i probably would have missed it.

as you can expect it is deer 1 me 0, i broke my right wrist and my humerous, upper arm, which isn't humerous at all, and scabbed my knees and hand pretty well and this is why you go to church, the first guy on the scene was an emt and his wife was a nurse. i thought that was pretty cool.

i didn't remember crashing and until the cop in th er ask me if i hit dog or a deer i forgot all about it and thought i just passed out, as soon as he said deer i got the little video im my head of the deer running for the road, i had everything else, where i was coming from,going to, adress, phone number but i coulnd't figure out how i crashed, it was really weird, i was riding then i was staring at the nice man that stopped to help.

i was wearing a full face helmet and a riding jacket which is the only reason i am here today, haven't seen my helmet yet but the officer said the main scrapes are on the face part, i go to get what is left of the bike today, hopefully not too bad, it is a 2002 xr650l so being an enduro it is kinda made to crash.

i have been riding since i have been 13 so 36 years and this is my first drop.

i am hoping to maybe get one last fish trip in for thanksgiving week end, might have to have my buddy reel in fish as my right arm is in a cast.

i am typing with my left hand so forgive puntuation and caps.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: last trip bummer

wow , very sorry to hear it but very glad you ok

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Not much protection on a bike is there. Be thankful it wasn't worse and I wish you a speedy recovery. Fishing is much safer I hope!

Lost my eldest brother in a bike crash almost 40 years ago. He was stopped at a sign and hit from behind.

NYBo

Admiral

:eek: Deer may be beautiful animals, but they are a menace! Best wishes for a speedy, full recovery.

BruceDeuce

Seaman

Im an avid rider myself in possession of 9 bikes at this time. I too have never been down on the road. But there isnt much you can do when an animal comes at you. Glad to hear your ok!

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Glad you are OK on the accident, Michigan just got rid of the helmet law, and I see many enjoying this new freedom, which I never understood. Again, glad you are OK.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Glad to hear you are OK. I love those XRs. They are made to crash, but not on the street. I hope it is salvageable.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

sorry to hear of the accident but am happy that you are around to tell the story

Jim

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Glad you survived and had a helmet on - As said earlier, Michigan just recently got rid of the helmet law - I can not believe when talking to some of these guys that belong to a certain group that was instrumental in getting rid of the law and they say you are safer without a helmet, I think they must have already hit their head. They will come up with some one in a million accident where the guy survived w/o a helmet and preach how lucky he was that he was not wearing a helmet. WTF?

LK

i have never hit a deer but i can still remember slidding down the road with my head helmet bouncing on the tarmac wondering how much longer before i come to a stop. glad you are ok and im real glad you had on a helmet and jacket as ive heard the nurses dont look so pritty when they come at you with a scrubbing brush to de-tarmac your butt.

Glad you survived and had a helmet on - As said earlier, Michigan just recently got rid of the helmet law - I can not believe when talking to some of these guys that belong to a certain group that was instrumental in getting rid of the law and they say you are safer without a helmet, I think they must have already hit their head. They will come up with some one in a million accident where the guy survived w/o a helmet and preach how lucky he was that he was not wearing a helmet. WTF?

LK

some off the people who believe in not wearing a skid lid do so because they believe that the helmet may save there life in a accident but leave them in a position worse than death. its a floored arguement because in a small accident the helmet may make no diffrence to life or death but it sure will save on plastic surgery. i think that anyone who wears shorts, tee-shirt and trainers is asking for trouble but its there life and its legal. im just glad that when i came off at over 100mph the ppe took the worst of the spill and if it wasnt for the handle bars wrecking my knee i would have been able to walk off from that one.

halfmoa

Ensign

i have never hit a deer but i can still remember slidding down the road with my head helmet bouncing on the tarmac wondering how much longer before i come to a stop. glad you are ok and im real glad you had on a helmet and jacket as ive heard the nurses dont look so pritty when they come at you with a scrubbing brush to de-tarmac your butt.

I had second degree burns on my left arm and face from a carburetor backfire and I can attest that the debriding process was worse than the burns were. Glad you're still here to tell the story.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

A speedy recovery to ya 5150! I been there myself...I'm glad you had a full face helmet & proper attire! No one "plans" to be in an accident but having right gear saved you from alot worse.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

thanks guys!

indiana doesn't have helmet law either but my dad was cop and instilled wearing one early on, i am very glad i was wearing one, i get the bike and my stuff today but the officer in the er said the face of the helmet is gone so i wouldn't have been nearly as pretty as i am if i weren't wearing it.

if it had been any colder i would have had my riding pants on too and could have skipped some scabs, it was a hoot having the guy scrub my hand.

went and got my cell phone from the tow place, they were closed for vetrans day, and they gave me what was left of my jacket and my back pack and the guy said the bike wasn't too bad so hopefully i can save it, no marks at all on the back pack so it flew off or i slid mostly on my face.

bought it with cash so it had plpd on it but i heard there might be an exclusion for hitting a deer and oddly enough some kid stole the bike back in august and got caught 8 blocks from the house, tore it up pretty good so i tagged him for $750 which i should be getting soon so either way it will get fixxed.

wanting to see it pretty bad though, hopefully it slid on the left side as i have a big gun full exhaust on it and i am in no hurry to replace that.

over all i am pretty happy to come out of this with just a broken arm and wrist, generally bike hits deer is followed by victim was air lifted.

thanks again guys, tony

jayhanig

I am a "ATGATT" guy myself: all the gear all the time. As another once told me, "I'd rather wipe off sweat than blood". I come by this honestly as the survivor of not one but two plane crashes. I know for a fact that things can happen to me just like the other guy.

I also have a background as an orthopedic nurse and have taken care of many a motorcycle rider over the years. Broken bones aren't much fun and road rash is even less (though it heals a lot quicker). Your father was a smart guy to impress upon you the necessity for wearing a full helmet. Studies have shown that a significant number of bike crashes involve face plants and a half or 3/4 helmet just can't protect your face like a full helmet will.

I live in a mandatory helmet state which borders another state which doesn't require helmets. People in SC tend to be a little fractious when it comes to anybody telling them what to do. It's not by accident that the War Between The States began in SC, but I digress. They vehemently defend their right to go helmetless. Personally, I guess you only need a helmet if you have anything valuable enough to protect up there, so maybe they're right... but there I digress again.

In any case, your bike can be replaced. You cannot. I'm glad you survived without anything too horrible happening to you. Not to minimize the injuries, but you could have been killed or maimed. Now you will have some time to consider what risks are worthwhile and which aren't. I'm not saying to give up riding (I didn't) but to go into it as prepared as you can. I wear full gear even in the heat now. No shorts and a tee shirt for me.

Alwhite00

Maybe it should be mandatory to fill out the organ doner card when not wearing a helmet, Lots of people need organs.

LK

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

Glad to hear your doing ok there. When they repealed the helmet law here in Michigan they repealed common sense right along with it. I saw people riding in shorts, t-shirts and sandals around here all summer long.

pdgs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The only response I can come up with is the optimistic one. You're here to tell about it so nothing else matters.

Streetgang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yikes

Good to hear you were taking some precautions. Amazing to read your positive attitude.

Hang in there and you will be ready to launch that wonderful boat for next season.

Thanks for your past help.

Jeep Man

Commander

Sorry to read about your crash Tony. Broken bones and road rash are not fun but we're glad your still around to tell us about it. A friend of mine once told me, "Ther're are only two kinds of bikers. Those that have gone down, and those that are gonna." You, my friend, have just moved to the first group. Get well soon.