Last post about the 3hp for now!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The history behind the story is the soft tipped needle was a big improvement over the old design (which admittedly worked well for years also). However the soft tipped ones were soon discovered to stick in the seat occasionly, especially on gravity-feed systems. That was cured with the addition of the clip and has been a very reliable design for many years and many thousands of motors. I can't say that I've seen one that wouldn't pull down by the weight of the float unless the carb was hopelessly fouled with rotten gas. In that case, it wouldn't run anyway..

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
agree… maybe the float is the wrong size it should clear all edges of the carb body ..and drop down

yet it hangs and its weight is not enough to pull it down when the fuel does not support it ???

maybe a the teflon (or whatever) tipped needle should be replaced as a trial

maybe the carb vent is shut stopping the fuel from being sucked away thus keeping the float up and needle shut (airlock)

who knows….

Isn’t the carb vent always open? That’s one of the small holes in the carb throat right

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
air should flow in the carb easily but it is not a trumpet so don't overdo it …. no air goes in upside down …. none

as to the clip... it is there to pull down the needle when the float drops down when fuel is sucked out the carb but motors ran without them before they came about ...so just remove it and try the motor. black tipped needles may stick more so try to find a metal one with no teflon on the tip but… the motor should run fine

if the clip is the cause of the float sticking which I doubt your problem will be solved.

make certain the carb seal sandwiched between the two halves is not to large as to catch the float inside the carb. trim it it need be

Ok so I know this is old I have been kinda busy and haven’t worked on it in a while. The motor seems to run ok, but takes quite a few pulls to start even when warm. Spark and compression is good, I am positive on that. But I am still wary of the fuel issues. I think part of my problem is the missing air silencer, I think it is supposed to keep the engine in partial choke mode and keep it running better. Once it’s started it runs ok, but if the fuel gets low it stalls a lot and is hard to get running again. I’m not sure if this is the in tank fuel filter causing me issues or what. I will probably take it out and run around at full throttle on the lake and see what happens, if it continues I’ll cut the fuel filter off. I will also make sure the float isn’t catching on the gasket, I ordered the carb kit from evinrudes website so I wouldn’t imagine that would even be a possibility but I’ll check. How much resistance is there supposed to be, I have pretty strong lungs but it takes some effort to blow through, the needle definitely seems to be working though, and the float seems to be adjusted properly

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
air should flow in normally like blowing in a straw... upside down NO air goes in but don't try to blow the needle off it's seat..

trhottle plate should just start to open when the thottle handle passes the small dot near the word SLOW

lindy46

Captain
The filter in the tank clogs from the bottom first so fuel flows fine until the tank runs down. Replace the filter and you will solve that problem.

lindy46

Captain
trhottle plate should just start to open when the thottle handle passes the small dot near the word SLOW
On Evinrude there is a mark on the underside of the tank mounting. When the throttle handle lines up with the mark, the plate should just start opening.