Last coat of Glass

PT

Seaman
I went to the store today & got what i hope is my last gallon of resin.But i noticed something different going on with this gallon. I mixed it the same as all the others, and after 3 hours it is still not dry,A few things to consider, it is cooler outside tonight 63 degrees, also i heard somewhere to be careful about getting old resin that it maynot harden.When i got the resin their was no hardner with it so i got 4 tubes off the shelf, very new looking.What do you guys think it is #1 the temperature, #2 old resin, #3 give it time it will harden.

JasonB

Lieutenant
Re: Last coat of Glass

The temp is likely slowing it down. I had the same problem with a couple spots on my project. Took one night's work 2-3 days to fully dry after the temps unexpectedly dropped on me. Give it some time and see what happens.

jomac

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JasonB's right temp&humidty play a major role in cure times :eek: now take deep breath!and relax :rolleyes:

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I had the same situation. The poly resin I bought from the boat restoration place in Spokane cured fairly quickly, even with fluctuating temps, but when I went and bought some resin from the local marine store, it had spots that took days to cure, despite thoroughly mixing in the resin. It all cured eventually. Now, if I could stop working 12 hour workdays, I could get something done on this thing....

JasonB

Lieutenant

I made a small batch of resin and glassed a spot 4 days ago. Last night it was still wet. The same batch would have cured in one day a couple weeks ago, but the temp here has dropped a bit and the humidity is nuts. Since it was a small area, I pulled it apart, mixed new resina nd used new cloth. I set this stuff to kick in what I thought would be couple minutes. I turned to Jello in abouty 30 minutes..... I have lost my touch. After laying 6 gallons with few problems, 8oz of resin has kicked my posterior.....

PT@work

Cadet

Thxs for the reply, just needed that reassurance from experience you guys might have had ;) Jason i know your pain, If anyone has never used resin it dosnt take long to figure out what not to do. I made a small mixer to go in my drill, mixes it up really nice.Putting carpet down today when i get home from work. I just may get to go for a boat ride this coming weekend :D