Lark gearcase coil

Cadillac-ack-ack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I removed the forward coil to inspect the tapered roller bearing and race and allow complete cleaning of the case of the bronze chips we all talked about a while back. I used heat and it dropped out with a good rap on a block of wood. I have the factory tool head to drive it back in and use some heat again. Question is, there is some remainder of what I believe to be sealant left at the bottom of the coil's seat in the case. Not much, but some. Also there was just a bit on the coil itself. This stuff is brown and has the suspicious texture of RTV. I have not read anything that supports the use of anything here and I can't see what it's purpose would be either. Am I correct? - Pete

Cadillac-ack-ack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank's F_R. Since this has been THE family boat since it's beginning,I thought I'd had a pretty good grip on it's service, and while it got serviced only irregularly, I never knew of any biggish repairs (of course there was a pretty good chunk of growing -up time that conflicted with vacations). There was not a lot in there and it all dissolved with lacquer thinner and a small brush. Squeaky clean in there now. - Pete