Large planer boards. Help to set up boat

I have a pair of planer boards that are about 30" long. I want to set up my boat to use them for salmon fishing on lake Michigan but have no clue on how to attach them to the 24' boat and how to use them. I am on a tight budget and cant afford to purchase fancy stuff from cabelas. You all have been there before. Please help.

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Large planer boards. Help to set up boat

On Chesapeake Bay a lot of the captains pull their planer boards with heavy mono - 300 lb - or use weedwhacker line. I use 200 pound spectra. I also use a planer reel, but once again a lot of the captains spool theirs on an electric cord spool and wind it on by hand. The important thing is to get the pull line up as high on the boat as possible so it doesn't drag through the water. My setup is a Big John planer reel mounted to the rocket launcher on the hardtop. then I have a brass ring mounted to a spring attached to the front of the handrail on the hardtop. The spring is important to keep the line from snapping under the loads generated by rough water. Then we use either shower curtain rings with rubber bands or Scotty's releases in caribiners to run the lines out on the planer tow line.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I run 36" long, 3-board planers and using 125? long, orange (0.095") trim trimmer line. Use 3/32? rope crimps to attach your terminal hardware. I use stainless steel carbineer clips on mine. As noted above, store your lines on an extension cord reel, works great

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

With late summer/fall combat fishing coming up, you don't have to have the boards out that far. In fact if you run them out 100 ft around the harbors, you won't make many friends and may lose some gear. Get some cortland planner board line (about $15 a spool for 300 ft) Tie it off on a midship/forward boat cleat or framework on the boat. (Not on the antenna) Keep the tie-off as far forward as you can. Getting it off the water 4 ft or so should be plenty of height to get out 30-40 ft. Wire spools, extension cord spools, etc are great for storing the line.

As to releases, do a search on Laurvick planner board releases. There about $3-4 each or make your own by soldering a large paper clip to an alligator clip with some tubing in the jaws. Some guys use shower curtain hooks & alligator clips.

Secure the boards out the distance you want, attach line to release & let it slide down the line as far out as you want. (don't hit the board). I keep them about 3 ft shy of the board. Keep your line from the rod tip to the release out of the water. Place your rods in the most forward rod holders that you have.

Most of the time, long leads off the boards work best.

H.I.H. & Good Luck

Tom B.
(LongLine)

Do I want to run five color lead core off the planer? Using planer boards are new to me, What should I run behind them and how do you get the bait down to the fish? I have 2 downriggers that we run out each back corner (how far back to run bait?) and 1 dipsy on each side. (if any of you are dipsy pros, please let me know so I can pick your brains) We want to add the planer boards to cover more water when on the open water. We will be heading up to Frankfort Michigan for salmon.