Lance Armstrong

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Lance Armstrong

I see no reason that L.A. the cyclist cannot be respected for his remarkable achievement.<br /><br />Very few achieve such success without focusing on the endeavor at the expense of other parts of their lives.

D

DJ

An athlete of remarkable capabilty and achievement- yes. I applaud his achievement for him and the nation he represents. Well done Lance! :) :) :) Hat's off!<br /><br />Hero-no.<br /><br />A "hero", to me, is someone that unselfishly saves someone disregarding their own peril. <br /><br />We have cheapened the term hero to unbelievably low standards.<br /><br />No offense Knobby-good topic.

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

None taken DJ, and I'll agree with you, for us old-timers a hero is just what you described. For the young-uns though, this guy fits their bill just right. They don't know or care about his life situations, just his accomplishment. He gives them something to look up to and reach for, rather than those mindless video games and game boys.

aspeck

Staff member

I agree with DJ on this one completely. I admire the phyical acumen that L.A. has displayed. Also like some of his comments about the French fans - put them in his place!<br /><br />In short, greatest cyclist of all time - even better than Soulwinner! HA! Just not a hero in my definition of Heroism. Semantics!

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just heard bad news about Lance Armstrong.<br />He was found to be in possession of 3 banned items in France:<br /><br />Toothpaste, deoderant and soap!<br /><br />
4_1_72.gif

D

DJ

He, He, He. :D :D <br /><br />You forgot one-manners!

jajeeper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I lost allot of respect for Lance when I saw an interview with him concerning his trials with cancer. He attributed his recovery to ...LUCK. I would have been the perfect opportunity for such a role model to mention God.<br /><br />He is amazing at what he does, no doubt about it.

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

I was in awe of Lance after I read his book "It's not About the Bike" a couple of years ago. I thought here is a guy that has mastered both mind and body. <br /><br />The LA that I see today doesn't quite measure up to what I read back then. In my book there isn't anything that can compensate for failing as a husband and father -- not even six consecutive tours.<br /><br />I guess it IS about the bike. On the bike, I'm still in awe -- off the bike, I'm not impressed.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Actually around here the rumor is that his wife was the first one to look for some extra curricular activity. Who know? Who really cares, its between them. The fact remains that he has done something no one else has on the bike and beat cancer off the bike.