laminating new fiberglass on an old layer

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i'm simply looking for detailed methods to prep old fiberglass to adhere to new layers.<br /><br />what i am going to do is <br /><br />sand the old fiberglass to 60 grit<br />clean with acetone<br />hand dry<br />brush poly resin onto the fiberglass<br />add new layers of fiberglass<br /><br />does this sound right? one specific question i have is, when i brush the new resin onto the old fiberglass, how long should I wait before adding new layers? can i brush it on, and then basically start adding new layers whenever i am ready to add them? or should i wait an hour or so for the resin to get tacky?<br /><br />thanks, guys

Bondo

Staff member
Re: laminating new fiberglass on an old layer

Ayuh,....... Once Sanded,.... It's time to Rock & Roll....... No Waiting nessessary.......<br /><br />DON'T left the resin start to Kick off,.... You Can't embed the Glass at that point.......

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Coarser sand paper (on a grinder) works better, try some 36 grit, but 60 will work.

glasply1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you are repairing a part of the boat's structure I would use epoxy resin instead. More money but I think better adhesion. Your steps outlined above sound good.

BillP

Captain

Use styrene in place of acetone. It chemically bonds the new resin to the old. Acetone works but is inferior by comparison. Wipe the surface before glassing with a good wet coat. <br /><br />Be sure to use laminating resin...it stay tacky between coats and elimates having to sand if you want to glass more later.

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i am using the premium laminating resin from uscomposites. so basically, once i prep the old surface, through on some resin, and start adding mat. sounds good!<br /><br />thanks, guys