Lake Ontario Salmon Fishing

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 2, 2008
Messages
494
Out on Lake Ontario early, flying solo in my 18 ft'r with a slight tricky wind.

7-23-11b.jpg

Ran into this nice rainbow:
7-23-11f.jpg


With that wind, I couldn?t hold the Rainbow over the side, for very long, to revive him, so I did the deep six thing...he went belly up. Seeing this I thought I better go back & get him. Unfortunately, a strong gust of wind suddenly swung the boat around and I hadn?t cleared the deep rigger with the probe on it. :eek: You guessed it, the rigger kicked. Luckily, by the time I finished my ?expletive deleted? I had thrown it in neutral & killed it. Raising the engine up revealed the cable was wrapped 4 times around the prop. :redface: Luckily it wasn?t cut. :) I was able to reach the cable with a boat hook but it was painful to pull it in by hand. (14 Lb plus probe) so I discovered that two pair of needle nose pliers can be used to pull it up rather easily & not cut the heck out of your hands. Got the probe & weight in but had to cut the cable to get it off the prop. Thankfully the Cannon people put a decent clutch on those riggers & no other damage was done. (LongLine 1 ? Rainbow 1)

So with 90 ft of cable in the bottom of my boat, that tricky wind & really feeling stupid at never doing that before (in well over 40 yrs of fishing), :facepalm: I called it a day & headed in. (I did do a couple of circles though & that fish had gone under.)

Tom B.
(LongLine)
 

Tig

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Sep 20, 2009
Messages
416
Re: Lake Ontario Salmon Fishing

Yep, stuff happens fast. I had two firsts the other day. Lost my sunglasses overboard and then broke my rod while trying to grab my glasses.
Looks like a beautiful sunrise. Where were you? Out towards the duck?
 

j_martin

Admiral
Joined
Sep 22, 2006
Messages
7,474
Re: Lake Ontario Salmon Fishing

Yep, stuff happens fast. I had two firsts the other day. Lost my sunglasses overboard and then broke my rod while trying to grab my glasses.
Looks like a beautiful sunrise. Where were you? Out towards the duck?

I stuck a nice bass one day, kicked a rod overboard trying to net it, reached for the rod and went for a swim. Friends nearby mounted my boat, were not able to contain their laughter, confiscated the rod I still held and landed the fish, then hauled my sorry wet arse up on the stern to dry out.
 

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 2, 2008
Messages
494
Re: Lake Ontario Salmon Fishing

Lake Ontario - Rochester NY (Genesse River)
 

Tig

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Sep 20, 2009
Messages
416
Re: Lake Ontario Salmon Fishing

Lake Ontario - Rochester NY (Genesse River)
Yeah, I wasn't sure how far out you have to. I'm just across the lake and the main salmon action seems to migrate west as the season wears on.
 
Top