Lake making me sick

James Bond

Seaman
Every time I go to the local lake here (Lake Thunderbird, Oklahoma) I seem to get sick about 2 days later. I'm miserable right now, went to the doctor, and he has me on antibiotics for an extremely sore throat. My skin is also extremely hyper-sensative/tingly. I don't know if there is some kind of bacteria in the water that I'm suseptable to, but it seems that I'm the only one that gets sick, it hasn't bothered anyone else I know that goes out there. It just seems to be more than a coincidence that I keep getting sick like this. It really sucks, I'm missing work because of it :(

James Bond

Seaman
Re: Lake making me sick

All of the above....I really hate to think that it's bacteria in the water, being that it's the closest lake to me. <br /><br /> :(

Dunaruna

Admiral

Maybe SPECTRE is slipping poison into your martini :D <br /><br />Seriously, we are in the middle of a drought and our local lake sometimes gets hit with an algae bloom because of low river flow (5 rivers feed the lake). Problem is its there weeks before it becomes visible and the local water authorities report it after people complain or live stock become ill.<br /><br />Aldo

Twidget

Commander

Its probably the water in the lake that you are sensitive to. The lake nearest to me(Lake Cleburne) seems to have the same affect on my entire family. :(

James Bond

Seaman

The lake is actually really high for this time of the year, it's slightly above the top of conservation level. As for Canadian Geese, ther are a few, but really far between, nothing like what I'm used to seeing up north.<br /><br />And for another rant....I can't stand the prices of mecication, it's crazy. my antibiotics cost me $43 WITH insurance.....but if it works, i won't complain about it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dude<br /> twidget<br /> I lived in cleburne for about 8 years my daughter was born there at the old hospital. I used to go to burlesson to a bar off 35. cant remember the name of it now. lake pat has some awesome sandie fishing as well as some kick butt crappies and carp. chat back with me and let me know how it is. I moved away from there in the late 8o's. used to work for GOEX there in cleburne.<br /> good luck and keep posting

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I feel for ya Mr Bond... Used to run around with a snotty nose all the time from the water.. Used to kneeboard couple times a week in the canals around here.. All kinds of nastys in that water... <br /><br /> Kneeboard on saturday, really training and working hard at it, drinking my share of that water and gettin plenty up the nose.... Come monday or tuesday i'd start snottin', blow the ol' nose, mostly canal water would come out.. Talk about stink... phewwwwwwww....

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

007...I'd be sending someone out there to take a water sample, and then to the lab for some chemical analysis. Same time of day and place you play is a good idea. Take the results to a doc and find out what it is that is bugging you...just a thought :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Has your doc taken a culture & identified the bacteria that's causing the infection? If not, you could be just creating more problems down the road by just tossing antibiotics randomly into your system. 'course, lab work ain't cheap nor quick.<br /><br />Maybe it'snot the water - you could have some kind of mutant mildew or mold or something growing unnoticed in some dark place in your boat like the carpet under the gunwale. Have you tried a different lake or a different boat?<br /><br />just a thought.

James Bond

Seaman

He took a throat culture, and ruled out strep, he said he'd keep it a few more days in case the quick test (which he said was 90% accurate) was wrong. I've been down to Lake Texoma a few times, and I don't recall having any problems from there. The meds that they're giving me suck....the anti-histamine stuff makes me dizzy, and the antibiotics give me abdominal pain, it's not horrible, but it's definately noticable. I hope all this goes away, I'm miserable right now.

James Bond

Seaman

Ended up going to the ER last night because it got a lot worse, couldn't eat or drink, I had anasty headache, and my eyes were hurting. So now they have me on all kinds of crap. Told me to stay on the Antibiotics I was already on, and they gave me a shot of some more antibiotics right in the hip, I was limping for an hour after that one. And they have me on lortab and a local anesthetic stuff.<br /><br />I asked them what they thought about the lake causing it, and they said it was possible, but since they didn't do any blood work (they said my symptoms weren't bad enough....I say yeah right!) they don't know exactly what is causing this, so even if I were to fork out the money and take some lake water samples to get analyzed, it wouldn't do my any good. Oh well...I'm slowly starting to feel better....barely.

jofish

Seaman Apprentice

James Bond, try eating some yogurt for your stomach, antibiotics will kill the "bugs" in your digestive track after awhile and give you a bad case of the s***#, yogurt puts them back.If the rest of your family is OK I would eliminate the lake and and lean to another source, I picked up a nasty sinus infection working in a moldy crawl space under a house for example, could have picked it up anywhere, hope you feel better.

LadyFish

Admiral

James, sorry to hear. Hope you get to feeling a lot better soon and find out what and where you are getting this nasty bug from.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Down here in Florida, we have an algea bloom that occurs in spring, called "Red Tide", because of it's reddish tint. It's uses up oxygen in the water that kills fish. It is also noted for it's effect on the resprotory system of some folks. I'm not submitting "Red Tide" is the culprit, (not even sure if it can survive in cold water), but perhaps there is a strain of algea that you are alregic to?

James Bond

Seaman

Just wanted to let you all know that I'm back at work, and really starting to feel better. Thanks all for your support and suggestions, this was the worst weekend in recent history that I can remember!<br /><br />Hopefully I'll be 100% next week so that I can start on my scuba certification like I had planned.