Lake Houston, Texas - low water!

gilbugs

Cadet
Took the boat to Lake Houston this past weekend and launched at Duessen Park on the south end of the lake. It was my first time on this lake so I was cautious and surprissed at how quick the water level changed. I was running in 30+ ft of water and in no time found my self in 5 ft of water. I couldn't even make a run up to the FM1960 bridge because the level got down to 3ft when I tried to go north.

There were plenty of boats just cruising up and down the lake seeminly oblivious to low water conditions. I never saw anyone that looked like they bottomed out but I was nervous the whole time as I have a 21ft Sea Ray Seville that I will not run in those conditions. Needless to say I am not in a hurry to go back until we get some rain here in South east Texas.

Has anyone launched above FM1960? If so how are the water levels up there?

DG

mmwest

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Lake Houston, Texas - low water!

We've been going lately and the water is way down. My boat is a 21' Sea Ray Sport and I seem to always hit bottom when leaving Duessen park ramp. I don't want nothing to do w/heading north towards the 1960 bridge ...just because the unknown. when you see that deep depth thats where the river channel is ,which flows to the dam.
Last weekend it was pretty hard lauching because of the depth but I'll probably keep going till I can't launch.
The lake is pretty nice if you stay in that first cove to your right if headed towards 1960. You can park on the beach or anchor out a liittle and do some swimming or whatever you like.

So to answer your question ..no I haven't ever launched at 1960 but it may be coming sooner than I wanted.

gilbugs

Cadet
Re: Lake Houston, Texas - low water!

Thanks for the response MMWest! It looks like we are in a similar situation. Launching and recovery in my boat ( a deep v hull) was a done by hand. My son in law said his coworkers tell him th elake is deeper above 1960 so I was just trying to confirm it before I took the time to launch.

DG