LAKE ERIE

Rex

Chief Petty Officer
I KNOW THAT A 17' STARCRAFT IS A LITTLE SMALL<br />BUT I JUST WANT TO GET MY FEET IN THE WATER NOT<br />SINK THE BOAT. I LIKE TO FISH FOR THE BIG BASS<br />WHICH HAPPEN TO BE SMALL MOUTH THERE.<br />TO BE SAFE WOULD YOU PUT THAT BOAT ON LAKE ERIE?<br />REX :confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: LAKE ERIE

Ahoy, Rex!<br /><br />Haven't seen your moniker on here much lately.<br /><br />Big Lake Erie smallies? You just bet your sweet bippie I would put a 17 Starcraft in. If it's too rough for that boat, it's too rough to fish.<br /><br />I have to admit, I would be a lot more comfortable (safety-wise) in one of my Boston Whalers, but 50 years ago people fished that lake in canoes and 12-14 foot skiffs. That was before we turned into a civilization of wusses. :) <br /><br />Keep your line wet.

gonfishn

Commander

I also have a Starcraft and it handles the water well as long as its being civilized when it comes to waves.

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wear the lifejacket for safety and go for it. I live on the Chesapeake Bay and you wouldn't believe all the peopel drowning this year even in calm waters. Wear the coat while in transport my friend. I almost lost it last year in the bay coming back from a rockfishing trip. A swell caught we from the side and I basically I lost all control and almost went over in the middle of Jan. I have a 30 year old 17' Proline.<br /><br />Just be safe. You can take the coat off when you fish.

Rex

Chief Petty Officer

Thank for the infor.<br />Rex a. Hubble<br />I was off line because i was sicker than a **** dog.

jvolpe28

Seaman

rex, I am the owner of a 16 ft boat, and a 9.9 hp motor, yes i said 9.9 ! I fish an inland lake with a hp limit. But living an hour away from erie, I wanted to get my feet wet to, so I used my boat dozens of times 1 or 2 miles off-shore catching perch, I fished all around conneaut break wall, and caught ton's of smallmouths, I even "pushed my luck" and did some walleye trolling, the big thing for me is the wind, i CALL THE LOCAL WEATHER REPORT, AND IF THE MAN SAYS 2 FT OR LESS, THEN I WILL GO PERCHING, thats usually 5 - 10 mph winds, and clear sky's, if I hear anything like a possible storm or wind's not to my liking, i forget the trip and fish somewhere else. you can fish but be reasonable on how far out you go, and ALWAYS follow the weather report. I have never had a problem 1 mile offshore and thats where the perching is good, the smallouth fishing I have done was right off the beach around the big wall's ,be safe and smart and you will be ok here is some pics of my boat http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=846372&uid=566175&members=1

daveswaves

Ensign

Lots of good stuff here, the main thing is safety. ERIE can be a tough lake. Listen to the weather reports, watch the sky, and the wind. Hey over on the Canadian side we have big largemouths too!! Enjoy the fishing! :)

bassndude

Cadet

I actually live in Leamington. But noone knows where that is so I just put Windsor.<br /><br />You should be fine. I hope you have a VHF radio too. <br /><br />I run a 20' bassboat out there and have been out in some nasty weather. I'm never worried about IF I can get back it is always a question of when. Take your time out there, hti the waves at a 45 degree angle and don't power thru them. It's not good for you or the boat. Depending on the chop you can ride over top of them but this takes practice. If you get swells take your time.<br /><br />Watch the weather report and be smart. You should be fine with your boat since it is a deeper hull than mine I'm sure.<br /><br />I had a buddy who lives in Colchester who runs a 16' Lund out there in anything his stomach can handle. Just be smart. if you don't feel confident about your abilities and the water, there is always tomorrow.<br /><br />Try some Mizmo 5.5" and 4" tubes in Sand, Erie Green, Goby, Watermelon Red flake, Natural Craw for the smallies. Fish them on the bottom, dragging... with tube heads. 1/4oz, 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz.<br /><br />Cast 3/8 oz Erie Deeries for the 'eyes.<br /><br />Frank