Lake Association

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Well year 2 I am done with them. I learned that the lake association has a meeting and makes all the decisions then has a meeting with the due paying members to tell them what they decided, that is BS. Also learned that the church camp on the lake is a non profit so they pay zero taxes, I get that, but they do not pay the $25 a year lake association dues and also charge the lake association to use they meeting space. I am not paying to support that.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Lived in a HOA community (town house) once in my life. Told me I couldn’t keep the boat parked at the house overnight. Left it parked out front for the winter…lol

Lived there 3 years. Never again.

aspeck

Staff member
Developer wanted to start an HOA in our development after property was sold and houses were built. Even though the covenants said that would happen, there were no methods dictated for how it would happen or how much it would cost each owner. So, when he said it was time he was told no can do ... you didn't start it at the beginning ... and that is why I live in an HOA free zone today! With the wrong people in charge an HOA can be a real drag!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
as far as Dante's 9 levels of HOA.... mine is not too bad at level 5.

however If I would prefer not to have the HOA.

@DeepCMark58A guessing this is the lake association back North....

have you considered joining the association?

Buddy of mine was having problems with the association. so he joined it. It helped that his Grandfather built half the homes on the lake and a good friend was also on the board. took a few years, however the association is now taking measures to save the lake, promote owner involvement and working with the county

ahicks

Captain
A "lake association" is not an HOA. At least not the one I'm familiar with.

Our "lake association" did a survey asking what the residents wanted to see improved. From that, they then came up with a list of mysterious projects (no specifics), mysterious costs arrived at in a mysterious manner (was there a bidding process involved?), then notified the township to raise my taxes by 700 per year through a special assessment district (already 125. for weed control)! I called the township to make sure I was understanding all this correctly, and they didn't have any idea of what was going on either (are we operating on a "need to know basis"?), other than to add 700 per household to the tax rolls. Legal? We'll see this fall when I demand a detailed audit that had better show every dime spent. This is a 700 acre lake, with thousands of lake front property owners. 700 bucks a property is a LOT of money......

FLATHEAD

Commander
A "lake association" is not an HOA. At least not the one I'm familiar with.

Our "lake association" did a survey asking what the residents wanted to see improved. From that, they then came up with a list of mysterious projects (no specifics), mysterious costs arrived at in a mysterious manner (was there a bidding process involved?), then notified the township to raise my taxes by 700 per year through a special assessment district (already 125. for weed control)! I called the township to make sure I was understanding all this correctly, and they didn't have any idea of what was going on either (are we operating on a "need to know basis"?), other than to add 700 per household to the tax rolls. Legal? We'll see this fall when I demand a detailed audit that had better show every dime spent. This is a 700 acre lake, with thousands of lake front property owners. 700 bucks a property is a LOT of money......
I wouldn’t pay one thin dime till I knew where the money was going. Let me see If I have this right. Who exactly makes up this lake association? Are the officials making these decisions for the entire community elected or appointed in some way? Glad I live in the sticks

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
In theory anyone be on the Boards, Elected or Appointed. However, in a lot of HOA, it is run by a Clique and Corruption sets in Firmly.

FLATHEAD

Commander
In theory anyone be on the Boards, Elected or Appointed. However, in a lot of HOA, it is run by a Clique and Corruption sets in Firmly.
Anyone?It seems that this lake association that Ahicks posted about is a different animal. Even so, to have the power to see to it your taxes are raised without much transparency, I’d be packing my bags.

ahicks

Captain
Anyone?It seems that this lake association that Ahicks posted about is a different animal. Even so, to have the power to see to it your taxes are raised without much transparency, I’d be packing my bags.
Been here since '78. I'm not going anywhere. My biggest hope is that I don't have to get legal....

DeepCMark58A

Commander
In July I will have lived on the lake for 2 years, the first year was prime covid so there was no meeting. I received in the mail information on the association and they were updating the directory. I went to the annual meeting and paid the $25 dues. I learned the other details from my neighbor who used to be on the board and is no longer a member. They do send out a report of expenditures the money to the church camp is called a donation. My biggest issue is why not have the actual board meeting open to the public?