Labeling starboard

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
So I've finally decided to go with Starboard material for my new dash. Trouble is, how do I label my switches? Nothing sticks to starboard. I'm going with Contura type switches (lit and unlit), and although they have some prelabeled, they don't have the exact labels I want. Any suggestions? Oh, and I'm going with black starboard.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Labeling starboard

Give them a call and ask.....

King Plastic Corporation
1100 N. Toledo Blade Blvd., North Port, FL 34288 USA
TEL: (941) 493-5502 FAX: (941) 497-3274
www.kingstarboard.com

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

There was a member here that used stainless steel metal plates that were stamped with the letters and mounted the switches thruogh the plates........

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Give them a call and ask.....

King Plastic Corporation
1100 N. Toledo Blade Blvd., North Port, FL 34288 USA
TEL: (941) 493-5502 FAX: (941) 497-3274
www.kingstarboard.com

They suggested I try 5200, but also said I'll be reapplying it over time. :facepalm: Maybe a small piece of clear acrylic over the starboard at the switches? This is frustrating.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

They really said that? I can attest to the FACT that not only will 5200 fail, it will fail QUICKLY!!!

I made my dash panels out of thin Starboard. There is plywood behind them. I didn't want any fasteners showing so I 5200'd them even though I knew it would eventually fail. It wouldn't really matter because there will be numerous things screwed through them.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2632.jpg

After only like a couple hours in the sun they began delaminating.

I just added a couple cupholders screwed through to keep them on
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2728-2.jpg

This is the only glue that will work and it's hella-expensive
http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...lyName=3M+Scotch-Weld+DP8005+Acrylic+Adhesive

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

They suggested I try 5200, but also said I'll be reapplying it over time. :facepalm: Maybe a small piece of clear acrylic over the starboard at the switches? This is frustrating.

Wow again, you would think the d**n manufactuerer would know what sticks well to it. Oh well so much for my idea.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

You'll find it's most common to use a switch panel vs. mounting the switches in the dash by themselves. This facilitates the use of engraving on the panel for switch identification. Some switch panels come pre-labled. Alternatively you could make and id tag from aluminum, plastic, brass, stainless, etc., and have it silk screened with the info you want.

If you don't want to see the screws you can through bolt them with stainless steel flat head screws that are counter sunk and glued into the panel then ground flush and then have the panel powder coated.

Here's a dash panel I did for a friend. I used the through bolt techniqe to hide the mounting screws for the panel. Instead of glue, I Tig welded over the top of the holes and then finish sanded them. The are completely invisible. I forgot to take pictures of the engraved switch panel, sorry.

Feb-boat002.jpg

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

If this question isnt resolved by monday then I will get my scraps out and start using different solvents and glues..I will also contact King SB and ask for there MSDS sheets ( some reason its not available online ) . If we know what its made from then we can start working with the solvents that melt it.

YD.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

You'll find it's most common to use a switch panel vs. mounting the switches in the dash by themselves.

Unfortunately, the design of my helm doesn't really allow for this option. :( The current dash is a brushed aluminum, and the switches are on the lower left of the gauges, with silkscreened labels. The location of the switches sucks, because they're behind the steering wheel. I want to relocate the gauges and move the switches to the right side. I'm thinking 2 rows of switches (3 & 4 per row) to keep the width down.

Here's a pic of what I have now.

PICT1154-1.jpg

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

You'll need to use an overlay of some kind. You can use acryllic or even lexan over the top. If you know an engraver they can probably cut the overlay panel for you and engrave it if you use thick enough material. Then fill the lettering with pain and clear coat it. Place it over the starboard and attach with screws at the corners.