L Drive Upr Drive Shaft & Coupler MIA

bowtie2440

Cadet
Any info would be a great help . I went to check a few things out the other day I put muffs on instead of a tub I use I noticed I wasn't pumping water . I had thought I was pumping water the first time I looked over the boat . I didn't run the motor long enough for the buzzer to trigger both times. Well I dropped the lower and inspected the pump everything was new and in good shape so I searched a few forums something come up about the upper drive shaft I looked between the power head and the steering arm :eek: I seen no shaft . I loosened the mounting bolts and tilted it back no shaft no coupler . I've been searching and searching I cant find the upper shaft NLA is what I'm getting everywhere I look but I found a coupler and dowel pin . I thought about finding a drive shaft from another unit and cutting the splined part but I'm stumped on the length , diameter and number of splines . Does anyone know where I can get all three parts new or used ?
Thanks
I forgot to add its a 89 Bayliner with a 125 Force L-drive

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: L Drive Upr Drive Shaft & Coupler MIA

Confused??? Did you just get this? Did someone put this back together without these parts.J

bowtie2440

Cadet

I'm guessing when the prev owner had the new power head installed someone never put them back on. From wha I've been told it hasn't seen water since it was replaced . wonder why....... no shaft no go...:rolleyes:

Babylon519

Cadet

Looking from the power head down, you've got the crankshaft on the power head (which is female), then a splined, double-ended (male) shaft that's about 4 inches long. This goes into a coupler that's about 3 inches long (the female coupler with the dowel pin you're talking about), and this couples to the u-joint shaft (male) that protrudes from the U-Joint housing. That little coupler listed for about $95 and the shaft was right up there too! I have an extra shaft and coupler but, unfortunately they were damaged when my u-joint shaft and housing seized up and then blew apart. I thought I could have filed the shaft and coupler so that the splines would fit together again (the edges got burred), but I was able to find used parts, so I didn't have to worry about that.

One other note: I think these little pieces are meant to provide a certain amount of play between the power head and the lower unit, as the u-joint shaft does ride up and down somewhat depending on the tilt of the lower unit. When my shaft got mangled, there was enough separation for the crankshaft to lose its connection to the lower shafts. Once that happened, the motor would still run, but had no connection to the water pump, and the overheat alarm started within about 20 seconds. I could never figure out what's the dealio with these short shafts and couplers, but it all makes sense when you see the entire drive train laid out in a hundred pieces on the bench! Good luck with your fix.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Look up marine salvge yards.Then look up bayliner and maxim boat dealers.Then start sending requests for parts.J

bowtie2440

Cadet

Look up marine salvge yards.Then look up bayliner and maxim boat dealers.Then start sending requests for parts.J

Thanks jerryjerry , Thats what I have been doing and pulling out my hair in the process . Every one that has responded said the samething "we don't have those parts" . I'm not giving up :D . I didn't know that maxim shared some parts Thanks . I've even asked every seller on ebay thats has L-Drive parts listed. :p