Knock Sensors?

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I have TB 5 with Knock sensors but I am a little confused. If the KS module detects "knocks" does it totally retard timing to -0- or only reduce timing enough until it stops sensing any knocks?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I believe It drops some of the advance off until it stops knocking.

alldodge

Staff member
Please use "English" for an old fart like me! THX!
It doesn't take all of the timing out, just the amount up to about 12* retard

Looking at the bottom shading of pic above it shows:
At 1000 rpm timing can go from 8* to -5*
Above 1800 rpm timing goes from 25* to 12*

It will vary based on the module and sensitivity of the sensor. The more knock the greater reduction, and vise versa

If the knock sensor wire is run along side the spark plug wires it can cause the module to think there is a knock when there was not. Folks who like all there wires to look neat can do this not knowing its an issue

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
It doesn't take all of the timing out, just the amount up to about 12* retard

Looking at the bottom shading of pic above it shows:
At 1000 rpm timing can go from 8* to -5*
Above 1800 rpm timing goes from 25* to 12*

It will vary based on the module and sensitivity of the sensor. The more knock the greater reduction, and vise versa

If the knock sensor wire is run along side the spark plug wires it can cause the module to think there is a knock when there was not. Folks who like all there wires to look neat can do this not knowing its an issue
THX!!! Makes sense!! My wiring runs parallel on the stb motor side to module and distributor. I wonder if there is shielding available for KS wiring? How far from plug wires do you recommend? I don't how I can get them apart more than a couple of inches. If my old memory serves me correctly, KS and plug wires come up through riser/exhaust gap near motor's bell housing (transom assembly) and connect to either distributor or KS module.

alldodge

Staff member
Just don't fasten then along side the plug wires. They can run parallel for a short distance then try to get then as far apart as can be done. Many go across the motor and straight down over the manifold to the sensor

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Just don't fasten then along side the plug wires. They can run parallel for a short distance then try to get then as far apart as can be done. Many go across the motor and straight down over the manifold to the sensor
Thanks for advice!