Kitty Hair question.

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was wondering if "Kitty Hair" was a brand name of some sort of putty?

Is it an automotive or marine product ?

Can one make his own by using cut up chopped strand mat, epoxy, hardener and mixing it to a peanut butter consistency?

Can this be used as a wood on wood bonding mixture?

Sorry for all the questions but I am asking because I am trying to bond two pieces of wood edge to edge. The problem I have is, one piece, because of its position, is impossible for me to square up so I am thinking of applying epoxy Kitty Hair to the unsquare side ( so as to fill the gap) then joining the two together.

Has anyone been faced with a similar problem?

Thank you for any help.

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Kitty Hair question.

You should try a product called Cab-o-sil. I thinks its the same as kitty hair. Yes, lots of people make thier own by grinding up mat in a coffee grinder (ask you wife for permission first). As far as the unsquare wood. It's better to have some gaps in your joints as long as the gaps are filled with peanut butter. This will make a MUCH stronger bond than wood-to-wood contact.

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have used sawdust as a thickener, but remember that it soaks up alot more epoxy than Cab-o-sil or kitty hair.

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kitty hair is a product / brand name used by evercoat company. Its a polyester resin based filler that is reinforced with short fiberglass fibers, aka hair. Evercoats product is described a waterproof usable for marine repairs.

http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi?keywords=kitty hair&view_id=38644

You can also create your own by using chopped fiberglass fibers:

Link to example of Filler

In marine work I tend to stay away from any filler that can absorb water, so wood fiber / wood flour or wheat flours are out for me.

As for an out of square fit, coming from a carpentry background, I would do everything I could to square it up. Failing that I would use an adhesive, Epoxy, that has a filler in it, Microballons or Cabosil and also mechanically join the two pieces, use aluminum straps or angles, etc.

Keep in mind that most 'glues' good old yellow carpenters glue included when used properly will bond stronger than the wood itself. So precoat both pieces with epoxy, add the filler and install the 2nd piece.

Depending on the amount of gap, you would use strips of fiberglass clothe or special epoxy compatible matting to also fill the joint and hold the epoxy in place until it sets up

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Fumed silica (Cabosil) is not very strong, but does thicken the resin, milled fiber (kitty hair) is glass fibers and is strong, the shorter the fiber the easier it is to work with. I'm not sure about the coffee grinder method, but you can just shred some mat with your hands and mix it in. A small amount of fumed silica added to the mix will make it easier to work with.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I have used similar products by different names. You DO need to read the label closely because not all of the "Kitty Hair" type products are listed as being waterproof. Some are a body filler with glass, and that will absorb water like a sponge.

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you,

Going a bit further though, does the mat have a binder in it that epoxy resin will not break down? If that is the case I would not be able to make it.

What I'm looking for is a super strong bond. that works on a wood to wood application.Since so many folks have suggested that poly won't work in this situation I was going to go the epoxy route.

This is for that center stringer problem you folks have been helping me with. This is going to be the "plug" portion so I need to feel it is as strong as possibe for safety sake.

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is special epoxy mats you can get Check the last entry on this page: http://www.shopmaninc.com/mat.html its a special matting for use with epoxy. I have ordered and used their stuff before and found the quality and service to be very good.

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sdunt,

I saw that mat you referred to. I wonder if I just pull some regular 1.5 oz mat apart with my finger ( like ondarver ) said, the remaining fibers will contain any binder?

Thank you.

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer

DURAGLASS
Its for auto and marine. I used it on a 18' Henry wood boat and it
worked great. Its been on fo at least 10 years with no problems.
You can find it at Murry's auto.
Beef

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If there are any Marine supply stores (like West Marine) in your area they will have the milled fiber and other types of filler.