Kitchen Counter Tops

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
We have 20 year old formica kitchen counter tops that I would like to replace. I want something other than formica. Ideally the new surface must be durable, attractive and "reasonably" priced.

Recommendations?

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Kitchen Counter Tops

There are all kinds of options available. Check your local big box home improvement stores and with local suppliers. It all depends on what you like and how much you want to spend. You can spend anywhere from a few hundred to thousands of dollars, depending on what you like. There is everything from laminate to granite out there. Good luck!

robert graham

Admiral

We replaced our old laminate counter-tops with that DuPont Corian solid acrylic and we love it!...Very easy to keep clean, scratches are no problem at all. There's so many different counter-top options at Lowe's and Home Depot we had a heck of a time deciding which to go with.:)

FlaCowboy

Ensign

Depending on your budget you can ceramic tile over what you have even run the tile up the backsplash or go to the solid surface or if you have a Big budget go to a granite.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

If you go with solid surface you'll have lots of "Corian-type" choices.....DuPont's patent protection has been exceeded and now everybody's making it....one is Staron....much cheaper than DuPont.

Last edited:

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I installed granite countertops for years. Granite costs the same or less than corian, is scratch resistant, and burn resistant. IMO it is superior to corian. You also have to purposely try to break it in order to do so. Prices vary from stone to stone, and if you know the right people you can get it reasonably priced.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

A great way to go is pre-fabricated granite countertops. Granite is a very hard, durable natural material, and can take the abuse of daily kitchen use. For pre-fabs, the full slabs are cut into standard 25-1/2" deep slices, plus 6" for a back splash, from 8' to 10' long and a front drop edge is laminated on and detailed. Slabs are also available for peninsula and island applications. Depending on your layout, this is a great, inexpensive way to go with granite. If you have laminate tops now, there's a good chance pre-fabs will be a good fit for you.

Check some local granite fabricators in your area for pricing. You should be from $100-$300 per slab depending on the color plus installation. There are some great sealers out now that are good for 5-15 years, so maintenance isn't such an issue.

More info available from a site I googled HERE

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Granite!

Warning...I was going to just do the tops and ended up doing the whole kitchen though!

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Granite!

Warning...I was going to just do the tops and ended up doing the whole kitchen though!

That's a story told many times in my shop! :D Some start with a dishwasher or microwave...others flooring or countertops

Pony

Rear Admiral

I installed granite countertops for years. Granite costs the same or less than corian, is scratch resistant, and burn resistant. IMO it is superior to corian. You also have to purposely try to break it in order to do so. Prices vary from stone to stone, and if you know the right people you can get it reasonably priced.

One of the reasons that I went with Corian is because of being able to integrate the sink into the countertop.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That's a story told many times in my shop! :D Some start with a dishwasher or microwave...others flooring or countertops
I started with my floor. Then I decided that if I do the floor, I should do the counter. If I do the counter I should do the cabinets. If I do the cabinets I need a new oven and fridge. If I do all that, I should change the lighting...I now have an unrecognizable house just because I wanted to get rid of my peach tile floor.

I did my granite through Home Depot. On sale was $35/sq ft installed. Included all labor including edges and cutouts for the sink and stove top and a nice stainless steel sink thrown in. I used my 10% Lowes coupon to get 10% off and they had an additinal 10% off between xmas and new years. A competing store wanted $45/ sq foot plus charges for the edge and the cut outs for the exact same granite.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

We did a Lowes Granite as well. Lowes acts like a GC, and a local grantie plant and installer is sub contracted by them. We went and chose our stone, and they came and did it as we expected. We went with an upgraded edge, undermount odd shaped (not sure what you would call it) sink, and had it all done for a great price. We also took advantage of a deal they had running, but felt spending the $5000-8000 another place wanted was not worth it. All in all we did our kitchen for under $2500.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

After spending 3 hours out in the yards at the local "stone shop" looking for that perfect piece of marble, we decide to go with Silestone (quartz) instead.

rogerwa

Commander

Look at rustoleum countertop transformation product. It looks to be a low budget process for renewing existing countertops.

jimr

We did Silestone(quartz) about 5 years ago and love it. pretty much maint. free. wash it down and go on no need to seal it. it was more expensive than corian but cheaper than granite

isimar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We have 20 year old formica kitchen counter tops that I would like to replace. I want something other than formica. Ideally the new surface must be durable, attractive and "reasonably" priced.

Recommendations?

we used this product on our counters at our northern home, a contractor friend thought they were REAL granite...our was formica also..

http://www.gianigranite.com/productscountertoppaint.html

about $70 a kit covers about 15 sq ft and can be purchased at Wal Mart.kitchen counter.JPG

woodsyfeller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you use natural stone just make sure it has a good sealer and do NOT use plumbers putty on any of the fixtures .Some natural stone will suck up stains forever.Plumbers putty will stain granite.

drrpm

Its hard to beat granite. Rocks last a long time. Its in the same ballpark price wise as the other quality options.