KILZ as an interior primer?

ThePostMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm a neat freak.

Now that that's out of the way. . .I am about to "paint" the inside of the storage areas in the cabin of my boat with Kilz primer. They're just basic layed-up fiberglass, but they're showing some wear and tear. I have a gallon of this stuff left over from a home project, so. . .

Anyone ever use this stuff on a boat interior? On fiberglass? It's just inside the cabin, so it won't be exposed to the weather at all.

Just curious!

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: KILZ as an interior primer?

Sure you can but everything has to be clean. Don't use anything like Surface Prep or similiar, just good ole' soap and water. Let it dry really good.
Kilz will start to yellow after a bit ( if alkyd ) but not so with the Kilz 2.
Leave it or top coat it.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

As a self admitted neat freak, I think you would be unhappy with a primer surface. Primers are made to stick to a surface and then be stuck to by a paint (in this case it's a sealer too), they have little abrasion or stain resitance. The surface would stain and get dirty easily, plus wear through prematurely. You want a hard, glossy, easy to clean surface.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

rustoleum works very well on fiberglass.

ThePostMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, all!

Sounds like Kilz with a couple coats of Rustoleum it is!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Scratch the Kilz, it won't do anything in this application.

drewpster

Commander

Isn't Kilz a latex product? I have always heard latex will not stay on fiberglass.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Kilz comes in about six or seven different versions - but basically one is a latex based product the other oil.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Someone told me that you can get as good results from regular gloss rustolium roll and tip than you can from easypoxy or the other lower grade boat paint. I was told that just that regular oil base paint you get a Blows or home cheapo. Is that right? I even looked on google and found out that rustolium makes topside paint now and also anti-fouling if you order it.

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

hello,
do some more research on it with guys painting fg for a living. i doubt id use the kilz, more for a porus surface. rustoleum advice here is no doubt is based on boating experience, so that would be a good consideration. i use a lot of kilz and i use it on wood, but not plastics.
regards,
lakester :cool: