Kill Switch now mandatory....take a look at this.....

alldodge

Staff member
Only an issue if a boat under 26 feet doesn't have one.
How many vids are there out there with boats running and no one is aboard, lots!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are you adding backup cameras, catalytic converters or TPM's to your cars and trucks built before those laws took effect?

Just because it's on the Internet..............................

(a) Installation Requirement.—
A manufacturer, distributor, or dealer that installs propulsion machinery and associated starting controls on a covered recreational vessel shall equip such vessel with an engine cut-off switch and engine cut-off switch link that meet American Boat and Yacht Council Standard A–33, as in effect on the date of the enactment of the Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2017.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you boat where the Coast Guard patrols, then yes this will be checked, if they pull you over they check EVERYTHING, even the expiration on flares and give tickets for that. Not sure if states will choose to not enforce on inland waterways but coastal regions are US Coast Guard territory (Fed law).

alldodge

Staff member
Any LEO can site for the issue, doesn't matter if it didn't come with one. My Rinker came with one and the tether has never been used, its in the glove box.

My 70 something Chrysler didn't come with one, but I was planning (prior to this post) on installing one because its so small

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Not sure if states will choose to not enforce on inland waterways but coastal regions are US Coast Guard territory (Fed law).
States waters go out 3 NM. 9 NM out for Texas and Florida Gulf coast.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I agree on the use of kill switches. There are too many videos of pilot-less boats circling and running over an operator.

However;

This reg is only for new boats built after enactment. It is not a retrofit requirement for older boats.

alldodge

Staff member
True sad story, and no one died
Friend of mine which has a brother which was doing SAR ops with Sheriffs office and National Guard. Dropped off folks at a pier and was going back to pick others off of island and large wave tossed him out of the boat. Boat kept circuling several times and he kept diving to get out of prop area. One time he didn't make it and was hit. The good news is he did live and is recovering but will never make it back to the team

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What’s interesting is that the bill appears to have been passed in July of 2019.

kvkon

Seaman
Probably a good system would be a blue tooth proximity type fob like vehicles use. Just keep it in your pocket or on a string around your neck.

Reactions: MRS

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Asked the question of a member on THT, CG guy and he said that you won't be required to retrofit one to an older boat but you can just imagine, when you get pulled over while the young CG guys are asking you how many life jackets you have and if your flares are expired, why you don't have one....the damn boat's 32 years old that's why!