kids,school,diplomas

crab bait

Captain
i asked the 'little restuarant cutey' the other day. why she's not in school..<br /><br />said she quit..<br /><br />i said why..??<br /><br />cause i don't need it.. an i'm goin' to college in a few years.. working now save money for it..<br /><br />how can that be possible..??<br /><br />she said,, gonna get a GED..<br /><br />i said, no college i thought with a GED..<br /><br />o'sure she said.. i'll go a semister at del tech ( a 2 year college) .. than go to where i want to go ..a vermont college.. <br /><br />once they see i have a semister at deltech,, they wont even look at/for my high school diploma................<br /><br />WHAT'S THE INCENTIVE..!!!

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: kids,school,diplomas

I agree with Tylerin. I mentor 2 16 year old twins. One of them has quit school with his dads good graces for doing so. He got a job about 3 days after quitting school. That didn't last long. He was caught smoking dope in the restroom at the job. They didn't call the cops, just fired him. The town this was in is the same one I work in. I informed our drug cop about it to watch for him. I hate snitching on a freind but the kid has to be stopped. I guess what makes me so damn mad is his dad just let him quit. He didn't try to stop him in any way, he even encouraged it.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Very good friend of mine grandson, " True Story!!!" :) <br /><br />Grandson quits school, goes from job to job,gets married, has kid, gets divorced, goes and gets GED,goes to college,studies to be CPA, graduates top in his class, takes a world wide test,finishes number #1 in the world, hired same day by an auditing company. his income is in the six fquire bracket and the kid is 30 years old!!!!<br />Not bad for a dropout!!!! ;) :cool:

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Only incentive for me me was Mom and Pop saying "you WILL go and finish high school.. You WILL graduate, no if's, and's, or but's, or else it will be your butt"... :eek: <br /><br />Had it not been for that incentive, I'd have dropped out of high school very early... <br /><br />"Snapper is a good kid, but he does'nt really apply himself".. :p That pretty much sums it up for me...

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This Kiwi dropped out of school aged 16, worked as a lackey in the Devonport dockyard for a while, won an apprentiship as an electronics technician and completed a few years of that before a short stint with defence.<br />Worked in a coal mine for a couple of years <br />Took up as a factory cleaner when I couldn't get a decent job when the kids started to arrive, made it to manager in 4 years. This made me think I could do something good with my life so I applied for nursing.<br />This was to be the best thing I'd ever done with my work life and I've never looked back since. <br />The education I threw away took over 10 years to bounce back and kick me in the arse. I'd have been much better of if'n I'd listened to my folk back then.<br /><br />My children have grown up knowing they'd better do better than my wife and I so they have, drugs and alcohol problems have no place in our house, neither do self pity or excuses for failing!<br />All children are either professional or making study towards professional carrers! We're proud and know whe've done them proud.<br />After this it's up to them............<br /><br />Yes it's cost us every penny we've earnt but thats the way we pay our parents back isn't it. My father always replied whenever I said I owed him something that we pay him back by doing the same for our kids, he was sure right!<br />Ross

crab bait

Captain

workin' in a coal mine tends to have those effects on a man.. <br /><br />before i got in the ibew ,, i had 42 different jobs.. an i never quit one of 'em...

keelhauled

Petty Officer 2nd Class

While there may be a few special cases, I can assure you, at this university (it's big and in Ohio, your guess!), we WILL look at/for a high school diploma, as would any university with competitive admissions.<br /><br />Circumstances often affect people's lives and it's not always possible for everyone to complete school in the traditional fashion. That's why we have the GED, right? Those circumstances are weighed in when a person applies. A GED candidate has equal chances as a traditional candidate if "your high school performance was adversely affected by physical, mental, or learning environment factors" or in the case of unusual life experiences.<br /><br />"I don't need it" would probably not expedite her acceptance.<br /><br />Little disclaimer to keep me out of trouble: I do not speak on behalf of the university and nothing stated above is official information nor should it be regarded as such.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I see a lot of young kids saying the same thing. In fact my kids remind me that all I had was a GED and Technical school certs. I tell them everytime, "I had to accept a GED". I got ripped out of a diploma by some two bit people trying to force us into something. It's a long story, but I only had half a year left of school, and they didn't want to wait till I finished.<br /><br />I tell my boys that my foot will remain printed on their tails if they don't finish. I give them plenty of room for school. I point out continually how society is not looking very favorably on white males anymore. They NEED to have the exact same paperwork, AND the experience in order to compete. There are tons of programs out there for minority groups. Poor white males will have to wait until they are older, to relax and enjoy life.<br /><br />It is sad that these loop holes exist. It really sends out the wrong message. It tells me that loop holes and the easy way out is acceptable. What happens when one of these people go to design a bridge or a plane?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Modern Public Education and modern Academic Credentials dispensing institutions leave a lot to be desired in educating and developing the abilities present in many mavericks, not to mention the easily disciplined students.<br /><br />There are many examples demonstrating that schools and parents cannot do enough things right to make a winner out of a loser or enough things wrong to prevent a winner from winning in life.<br /><br />Those characteristics that will make us successful in adult life are formed before we enter school. The time in between is simply polishing the jewels of our character or vainly painting over the rot. Usually it is some of both.

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't see anything wrong with the GED thing, except that the waitress will have a wake-up call one day. She can get her GED, and she can get a degree, but; she'll soon realize that she did it the hard way. <br />When I was a kid, there was never any question about whether I would graduate from HS. My old man would've kicked my arse had the question even come up. <br />I've done the same for my kids, except now there is no question as to whether they will go to college, but what college they will go to.<br />My daughter does great with about a 3.6 GPA. My son is another story. His GPA is about 2.0. I'm telling him how hard it will be to get into a good college with that GPA. He'll need to start off in a 2 year college and move up from there. I'm telling him that I'm going to take some vacation time so that I can sit in his classes with him to see what's up. Usually, this works to scare him straigt for a little while. He brought home another D the other day. Looks like I'm going to have to make good on my promise.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

ditto wabbit... well said JB!<br />Abe Lincoln is good example of this IMO.

KennyKenCan

Commander

I have a freind who dropped out of high school during the 8th grade.<br /><br />Today, he owns East Coast Automotive Restorations, Inc.<br /><br />Last year he made over $600,000!<br /><br />Go figure!

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

There are all sorts of success stories about high-school dropouts. There are also college graduates that have trouble finding jobs and making ends meet.<br /><br />The problem is when people use these exceptional cases like the high-school dropout millionaire as justification for their own actions, as if it were a direct cause-and-effect relationship.

sloopy

Commander

There are all sorts of success stories about high-school dropouts. There are also college graduates that have trouble finding jobs and making ends meet.<br />
Remember the drunk driver always walks away from the crash

PW2

Commander

Some kids mature at a different rate, and are not ready for school when the calendar says they are ready.<br /><br />Myself, I took 3 years off school after high-school--which I graduated but with a GPA too low to get me in to the University that I wanted--and I saved money for college.<br /><br />After three years, I saved $17.34 -so I went to JC for two years to get an associate degree and get my grades up for University. It worked and I graduated from the University I originally wanted.<br /><br />It is a matter of motivation-some kids have it, and some don't, and some get it at different maturity levels, and you can't threaten someone into being motivated, I am afraid.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If I learned anything about leadership in my career(s), it is this:<br /><br />Nobody motivates another person. The best we can do is stimulate the motivation that is there into action. We can just as easily suppress motivation by applying the wrong stimuli.<br /><br />If we offer rewards and paths to rewards that are desirable to the person at that moment motivation is stimulated. If we offer punishing consequences or obstruction to achieving those motivated goals the motivation is suppressed.<br /><br />If the subject's mindset is, "Yes. If I do these things I will get what I seek." you have a "motivated" subject. If the mindset is, "Oh, what's the use?" you have what appears to be a non-motivated person.<br /><br />The subject may, in fact, be highly motivated toward goals you don't understand or agree with and indifferent to the goals you seek for him/her.<br /><br />These concepts are very thoroughly and entertainingly explained in Dr. Robert F. Mager's book, " Analyzing Performance Problems or, You really oughta wanna "