Kicker question

7thCrowWing

Cadet
Looking at option for a kicker for my Lund 1800 fisherman, use will be a combination of back trolling, holding and such in heavy waves as I have a Minnkota ipilot on the bow that will work until it gets pretty rough. Not sure whether to get a tiller and use an extension handle or remote it at the console, my gut tells me tiller but the deal says most hook it up remote at the console. I don have power steering and I personally think it would be a lot to be moving 2 motors all the time with my steering wheel, am I missing something? Thanks.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
go with remote imho
Since you don't have hydraulic steering it's a pretty inexpensive link up and works fine. You can easily connect and disconnect it when needed.

7thCrowWing

Cadet
go with remote imho
Since you don't have hydraulic steering it's a pretty inexpensive link up and works fine. You can easily connect and disconnect it when needed.[/QUOTe

I am thinking more of convenience for fishing.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
You can do a tiller handle, and a remote controled steering system. Basically it's a corded remote you can use to steer in your boat. You can also get a wireless remote to go a long with it to steer the kicker much like an electric trolling motor.
What kicker brand kicker are you looking to purchase?

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
Just out of curiosity what year is your Lund Fisherman?

7thCrowWing

Cadet
You can do a tiller handle, and a remote controled steering system. Basically it's a corded remote you can use to steer in your boat. You can also get a wireless remote to go a long with it to steer the kicker much like an electric trolling motor.
What kicker brand kicker are you looking to purchase?

merc. 9.9 pro kick. If i tie it o the big motor and steer from the console not sure that is very convenient. but there is a good distance from the back of my boat to where you would want to stand or sit with an extended tiller handle.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You can do it both ways, get one with a tiller and use a Panther link. It will make no difference in the steering effort with kicker linked to the big motor.

If you want to control the throttle with the steering link you can get a remote electronic throttle control.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I always set mine up with a tiller kicker,

Mounted on the starboard side for easier use in some fishing situations,....

I also have a cheap tie bar to connect the kicker to the big motor so I can steer it from the helm,...

Then I add a either a "Troll Master" wired control for the throttle on the kicker that can also be used at the helm,..

Setting up like that allows me all of the benefits of a tiller or remote setup depending on the situation at hand,...

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
valve_sticky.png
on 2005 I think it came standard with the fuel valve for the kicker.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
One nice option is to use the iPilot for directional control and the kicker for thrust, this works well when it gets windy or rough, just lock down the kicker so it won't turn.