kicker on small boat

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class
What size kicker do you think is needed for a 15' 750 lb hull (~1200 loaded)?

The main outboar -40 HP Mariner, has been pretty smooth since I worked on it, but want to have a back-up. Not had a good experience waiting for tows in this area (car) so not sure I trust my boaters insurance. I've had not so fune paddling experience with the family a couple times prior (not this current outboard).

I was thinking a 2.5hp might work, but picked up a 4.5 HP twin cyl Johnson SeaHorse. It is larger than I expected, but seems to run rather smooth. I'm guessing it is a longshaft '81, but not good with serial #s. J5RLCIC.

Trying to decide whether to keep this one or sell or try to trade smaller

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: kicker on small boat

Just my 2 bits but on that small of boat i'd op for a strong trolling motor & spare battery instead of kicker :rolleyes:

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks-

No real use for a trolling motor here and I figured the weight is about the same as a trolling motor and extra battery. Not sure the trolling motor has the juice if we are out in the bay. I think the 4.5 comes in around 50 lbs, thought I might shave off a few more pounds with a 2.5, but the weight is really not too big of issue, just the thing is 3/4 as large as the 40. Wasn't sure whether a 2.5 is strong enough, but probably is if I find one cheap or to trade for.

I got a pretty good deal on the 4.5

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would keep the 4.5 and I would think that a 4-6 hp would be about right for your boat unless you are in a area with strong currents. Try the 4.5 out and I doubt that you will want less hp.