Kicker not peeing

Tiki35

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1998 Mercury 9.9 four stroke kicker.

While trolling at the end of the season last year, I noticed the engine was not peeing. So I shut her down and came home. Fired her up the next day, and she was peeing so I thought maybe there was a temporary blockage at the water intake.

So I start her up for the first time this season at home in a barrel, and she's not peeing again. So I replace the water pump (the water guide is aligned), still no dice. Check thermostat, needs replacing for sure-really full of crystallized salt and corroded, but ran it momentarily with the thermostat housing off to verify flow to the block and there is very good flow so water pump is working. Took off hose leading to telltale and can blow air through it so no blockages there. I must have a salt blockage after the thermostat, but I am not sure where. I would really like to fix this myself without having to take it into the shop.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

dazk14

Ensign
Re: Kicker not peeing

Did you blow air through the over-board fitting and inside the block?

If you have a compressor blow air through the over-board fitting into the block - while it's running.

It may take a few times, but this often clears it.

Salt away with the correct dosage is another option.

Is the motor running hot?

Tiki35

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Kicker not peeing

You nailed it. Thank goodness I had a compressor to blow air through the lines. She is pissing fine now. Off to the store to get a new thermostat.
Thank you so very much!