Kenmore Washer problems again!!

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class
My wife called me in to the laundry room the other night saying that she could smell a rubber burning odor coming from the wash machine. I could smell it and ran down to Sears and picked up a new motor coupler and swapped that out...third one in 10 years. The smell didn't go away though. What else could be causing it? I should also mention that it has also recently developed a 'tick' while in the spin cycle.<br />The washer is a 10 year old Sears Kenmore Super Capacity Plus model.<br />I don't know if maybe there is something stuck down in the auger or if that is the transmission starting to go. :confused:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Kenmore Washer problems again!!

Not an expert mikecjn but transmissions are sealed and not likely to smell like burning rubber. Belts that may be driving them are a different story.

dolluper

Captain

Could be your motor bearings are giving out or the motor is misallined,see if your belt is shiney on bottom twist it over to see

Paul Moir

Admiral

Could be the clutch slipping. If that's what's wrong, the spin cycle won't spin the clothes up very well and you may notice the drum twisting with the agitator. I would expect it to be making a noise in it's spin cycle too, so that seems to in.<br /><br />Blown motor couplers can often be traced to a sticky clutch. A little dab of silicone grease on the friction surface can cure that.<br /><br />
ddbrkcltbrkdn2.JPG

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

How do you check the clutch? I replaced the motor coupler just because it was the first place I figured to start with the rubber smell.<br />My wife says that the smell is more like burning pot and not so much a rubber smell.<br />The noise is a tick...tick...tick that is about the same speed as the second hand of a watch.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Burning pot? Man check that machine well. You might be able to make a fortune selling the weed!<br /><br />I took a major appliance repair class at Lamar University in Port Arthor Texas. I'm going to see if I can diagnose the problem using my textbook and notes. I'll get back with you on this.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Ok it looks to me, my best guess, is the belt if equipped or the clutch. It could also be the tranny going out. Its really hard to diagnose without the machine in front of me.<br /><br />If you can supply more info that would help. You had mentioned the tick being at the same rate as the second hand on a watch, but that seems to have disappeared from your post. <br /><br />Does it make more noise than usual during the wash cycle? When does the smell first appear? What cycle? <br /><br />If the machine keeps throwing motor couplers it sounds like the tranny is going out. It's getting so difficult for the motor to turn it it's burning parts and breaking couplers. If it is the tranny, it's not worth replacing. The machine is soon to be a parts-only machine.

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I switched the motor coupler out it didn't really look bad at all. I just started there because of the rubbery smell.<br />The washer seems to be working fine, just that smell and the tick .<br />I will ask my wife tonight about when the smell happens.