Keel Repair

Scratched the keel putting the boat on the trailer in high winds.

Two Questions

I want to take the boat out tomorrow but started to think it might be a bad idea. What do you all think?

Looking to repair this - I was thinking some cabosil and epoxy - will dremel it back a bit first, sand, then dab some epoxy on there, then cabosil/epoxy thickened mix. Sand and match the bottom paint.
Does that seem like a good move? Or any other suggestions?

Attachments

• 77B16F9B-D4D5-4ADF-931B-E593A3616D8C.jpeg
    77B16F9B-D4D5-4ADF-931B-E593A3616D8C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23

todhunter

Canoeist
Doesn't look too deep, so you may be able to ride with it for today. It also looks high on the bow, so above the water line? I would use color matched gelcoat thickened with cabosil. If you use epoxy, you wont be able to put gelcoat over it. Grind back a little to feather it in, glob it on, sand to shape, then buff. I did way worse to mine 2 summers ago and fixed it in a weekend. I still want to redo the color match on mine though.

I must be blind, what needs fi
Doesn't look too deep, so you may be able to ride with it for today. It also looks high on the bow, so above the water line? I would use color matched gelcoat thickened with cabosil. If you use epoxy, you wont be able to put gelcoat over it. Grind back a little to feather it in, glob it on, sand to shape, then buff. I did way worse to mine 2 summers ago and fixed it in a weekend. I still want to redo the color match on mine though.
Thanks for the answer - it’s below the water line if not in plane.

I’m curious though - why would I not be able to gel coat over epoxy + cabosil?

flashback

Captain
amazing what a good nights sleep will do. I see it just fine today. gel coat has trouble bonding to epoxy. I would use the epoxy and just paint over it with the bottom paint.

This brings up another question — I hate the bottom paint color….could I just paint over it with black bottom paint or would I need to strip the blue off first?