keel repair

ziggy

Admiral
well, i needed to do keel repair when i got my boat 8 years ago. i didn't. now i'm thinking i really should do it.
i didn't do it for lack of knowledge. i still don't have the knowledge so think i'll need some help. i've never done any fiberglass work at all.

this is what i got.

this is the part of the trailer i was hitting. it caused the damage to the most fwd part of the keel.

this is the fwd damage. where it's the worst.

the damage to the ft. of the keel is partly due to launching to deep. the keel literately hits the trailer. i stopped doing that right after i got the boat. the rest of the damage is from beaching.

i want to put a keel gaurd on it as i still plan to beach my boat.

what do i need to do?
do i need to sand it totally smooth? it's only mildly sanded right now. but i did do some sanding.
can i use some marine tex, sand it kinda smooth, and put the keel guard over it?
or do i need to really learn how to repair fiberglass with cloth and all that jazz. if this is what i need to do, i'll need to know more about all that jazz.

edit. i'm also going to be working upside down. + i have to deal with close space (a couple inches) between the trailer and the boat. does this make any difference?

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: keel repair

Keel Guards are way expensive! Here's a Good inexpensive alternative for you to consider. Get a Quart Fiberglass repair kit from Walmart. Use the Resin, Mat, and Glass cloth that comes in the kit to create a patch to cover the damaged area. ( We'll go into that in more detail IF you decide to go ahead with this plan) Then Mask off the keel in an area similar to that of what the Keel Guard would cover and buy a Truck Bed Liner Kit from Wal Mart. Apply multiple coats of the Bedliner material to the masked off area to build up a thick coating of the material which will in effect make a keel guard for the boat. I believe it comes in various colors. If not from Wal Mart I'm pretty sure it can be ordered online and It's MUCH less expensive than a keel guard. I know of at least one iBoats member that has already done this to his boat and it appears to have been quite successful. Let me know if you think this is something you might want to do, and I can go into more detail on how to do the Glass work. It's really NOT that hard of a job and can be done in less than an hour.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I would still spend the $120 on a keel guard.

ziggy

Admiral

thanks for the comments.

while i like less expensive, i still think i'd like to go with the keel guard. the thought of beaching on a concrete boat ramp could be in my future if i go that way. at beginning and end of season. part of the reason for not being able to go boating (at beginning and end of season)is because of no where to park the boat when the public docks aren't in. guess i am just under the impression that keel guards work well.
Get a Quart Fiberglass repair kit from Walmart. Use the Resin, Mat, and Glass cloth that comes in the kit to create a patch to cover the damaged area
that i might do. i don't think i have structural issues, just wore the gel coat off, for the most part. that was why i was thinking just marine tex. i just think i need to cover the open wound so the fiberglass don't absorb water. do the instructions come with the qt. of glass repair from walmart?
is the wound i have bad enough to warrant fiberglass repair?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you're gunna use a keel guard then I wouldn't worry about it. I'd clean it well with acetone and put the guard on. I don't see damage bad enuf to warrant glassin' That's just my opinion.;)

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

what brand keel guard do you plan on using? Keel guard vs. keel shield? Anybody have strong feelings or experience with either? I, too, am considering this option.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

WOG, that section in the front looks worn almost clear thru. take a look at the color change. I would patch that area at the least prior to installing a keel guard

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Here's my logic. If it's not soft and spongy and or cracked and the pics can't tell me that for sure, then it won't leak and the Keel guard will keep it from getting any further damage. the adhesive on those things is unbelievably strong and watertight so no more water should be getting to that area. I just don't see the need. But, no reason not to either. It's basically a 1 hour patch job.

eavega

Lieutenant

what brand keel guard do you plan on using? Keel guard vs. keel shield? Anybody have strong feelings or experience with either? I, too, am considering this option.

I've had Keelshield on two of my boats, and have no complaints. Granted, last year I didn't do much beaching as we didn't have a whole lot of beaches available (lake was 2' above full pool for the whole season!), but on my previous boat the Keelshield held up very well and never peeled or separated in any way from the hull.

Gator Guard (manufacturer of KeelShield) themselves recommend not repairing the gelcoat if your keel is worn (specifically if it is not leaking water and there are no gouges deeper than 1/4") , just clean with isopropyl alcohol (they warn specifically against using Acetone, as it will leave a film and will cause the adhesive not to bond) and apply, then seal the edges with 5200 (sealing is optional, but I have done it both times).

-E