Keel repair on fiberglass with Kevlar - Any suggestions?

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a small boat (picture below) and I fish a lot with it, so I end up running up on the bank a lot for various reasons. Also, I launch the boat from the bank sometimes, i.e. without a ramp (it's just small enough to get away with doing it).

I inspected the keel yesterday and noticed that the fiberglass is starting to fray and get worn from sliding over rocks. The boat is fiberglass, straight-through hull of about 1/4" thickness.

I want to fix this before it becomes a serious problem (not that it isn't already serious). My idea was to purchase some 2" Kevlar and epoxy it in perpendicular to the keel, and layer each piece on top of the last, starting on the stern-side and working towards the bow. kind of like Kevlar shingles going right across where the damage is taking place.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions that might be better? I know I can spend $140 on a keel guard but I don't know if it's going to hold up to this kind of abuse, and I want something that I can do that is cheap and super-strong. I even considered attaching aluminum or something there, like a skidplate on a truck!

Oh, and aesthetics are the last thing I'm concerned with on this boat, as you can see from the picture. Utility is key.

a rudimentary picture is attached to try to explain what I'm talking about.

I appreciate any help or advice you can give me.

Attachments

• keel repair.JPG
    keel repair.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 0

drewpster

Commander
Re: Keel repair on fiberglass with Kevlar - Any suggestions?

I think you are better off with the keel guard. Kevlar is strong and light but it still wont hold up to that kind of wear. You could try to bond a light aluminum to the hull, but bonding it so that it will stay on going to be a challenge. Keel guard is expensive but really tough stuff.

With that kind of beating, you may want to look in to buying a tinny. You can find old flat bottoms pretty cheap.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well if aesthetics is NOT an issue, and you can get to the bottom from the inside fo the boat, then based on your picture, I would buy some aluminum plate, use marine tex or 3M 5200 to adhere it to the bottom of the boat and then rivet it thru the hull. I would then lay a couple of layers of 1708 glass and resin on the inside to seal it up and be done with it.

I'm just sayin...

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The Kevlar will work and so will the Keel Gaurd. The K/G may not conform to the shape as well though, can't tell how sharp the keel is from the pic.

If you use kevlar I wouldn't bother staggering the layers from side to side, just run the strips front to back for the full length needed.

jonesg

Admiral

Price out the kevlar and epoxy, I think you could snag a tinny for the same money.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Personally, I'd put some 1708 on it and go. For what you describe the use of the boat, a couple layers and you'd be good for a while. It would add some thickness and durability. Sure it would still wear through eventually, but I'd just keep an eye on it. As others have said, the kevlar would work, but would be costly and it would still wear through.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Personally, I'd put some 1708 on it and go. For what you describe the use of the boat, a couple layers and you'd be good for a while. It would add some thickness and durability.

This is what I've done on my small boats that get drug around.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, the boat's not leaking (yet), so I'm just going to go with a $15 repair kit.

We'll see how this works out first. I mean, the boat's 27 years old and this will be the first time this has needed done.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... Old Town Canoe Co. sells "Skid-plates" kits for their Canoes/ kayaks,....
It's a kevlar strip that you epoxy on,...
It wears Better than Iron....
Won't peel like a keel gard if installed right either....

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

So here's what I'm working with. It's not leaking (not much right now, but I expect it to get much worse).

the fiberglass appears to be shattered and feels spongy when wet. It's definitely leaching water, maybe a gallon over the course of a couple hours.

I'm looking into the 1708 idea; I might just go that route. For now I ended up getting a fiberglass repair kit, which I think will serve the purpose so long as I don't rub the keel when I'm out.

QUESTION: Can I still get away with the 1708 fix or is this damage now too extensive?

Attachments

• IMG00551-20100816-2000.jpg
    IMG00551-20100816-2000.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00567-20100823-1909.jpg
    IMG00567-20100823-1909.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You COULD do an outside PATCH job that MIGHT hold temporarily and Stop the leak, BUT for SURE that is an INSIDE OUT repair. To much damage to be done CORRECTLY from the outside. If you have Foam in the hull it will be hard to get the glass dry enough to patch it from the outside.

I'm just sayin...:D

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did it; I used a fiberglass patch kit and put 3 layers of matting down. It's ugly but the boat wasn't much to look at before this happened anyway.

I probably just need to get another boat; I mentioned this to my wife during a conversation, which wasn't much of a conversation after that, if you know what I mean. . . . :rolleyes: So this boat will have to do until next season, maybe.

I'm still going to look into some kind of aluminum skid plate or something on the front where this damage is occurring.