Kayaking away from the Mother Ship

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer
I want to try kayak trolling for Stripers. One or two rods dragging lures behind me as I paddle by some choice spots.

The best spots are some creek mouths and shoals about 10-15 miles from my dock, so I'm considering loading the kayak on my 21' Dual Console, get near the spots, anchor the DC, and paddle away to the good fishing spots.

Aside from taking my boat key with me, are there any other concerns about leaving an empty boat anchored a couple of miles from shore in an open bay? Of course no where near the channel.

Is there an "I'll be back" flag, or maybe a note I should leave on the console?

Last edited:

scuba4me

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Kayaking away from the Mother Ship

I have done something similar. I spearfish and we take kayaks with us - we pick up from a hand launch spot and pull them to the productive kelp beds. The issue I ran into is the CG started flying over and then sent a boat as they thought something was wrong. They stopped at my boat and we had to paddle back and explain. They said thanks we were just checking. They gave no advice on the situation and no reprimands.

jdlough

Coast Guard overflys are extremely unlikely in my area. I'm waterfront at a small boondocks town on the east side of one of the many inlets to the Chesapeake Bay. In the last 12 years, I've never seen any kind of DNR, Coast Guard, or any other boating law enforcement.

At any rate, I don't want to cause an "abandoned boat" alert. And I don't want to creep out any local boaters seeing an "abandoned" boat.

Last edited:

scuba4me

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Then I would only be worried about another boater getting curious or concerned. Leaving a note is note in a visible place a bad idea.

jdlough

I'm at the mouth of a river entering the east side of the Chesapeake. It's in a boondocks area, usually with miles of open sea.

MediumTide.jpg

scuba4me

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Then lots of chain and extra scope ext. I’d be worried more about a long paddle home.

jdlough

Then lots of chain and extra scope ext. I’d be worried more about a long paddle home.

Yep, I'd be anchoring in about 15' of water with about 200' anchor rope. Big Fat Anchor. Minimal currant. I have no problems believing that the boat will be there when I paddled back.

I just need to know if there is anything unlawful, or anything I am missing about leaving an unoccupied boat in the non-channeled area of the east side of the chesapeake.

chriscraft254

Commander

There is nothing illegal about it as far as I know, but its a good question. Its really no different than people anchoring to go swimming or whatever. Its a good Idea to have a vhf radio on in your boat and one with you on the kayak.

NYBo

Admiral

Leave the anchor light on in case it starts to get dark before you return.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

It would depend on the amount of boat traffic in the area whether or not you would have end up even having an issue with someone being alarmed or curious by the anchored boat or not. I know if I saw a boat dead drifting abandoned then I would be worried but anchored up, I wouldn't have any concern. I can't imagine someone pulling up the anchor and towing the boat away thinking they were being helpful. I can see most people boating on by looking and then again on the way back maybe becoming curious enough to stop and check. I would just leave a simple message, in view that says "In the area kayak fishing."

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

When the boys were little we would anchor in a small cove every Sunday for almost the entire day. There was an older couple (in their 70's at least, and very tanned and fit) that would anchor next to us early in the morning. They always had 2 kayaks strapped over the taffrail. They would ask us how long we were going to stay, and then ask if we would please watch their boat. They would usually be gone for 2-3 hours. Always very thankful when they returned and would always offer the boys cookies and such.

I guess the buddy system is a good way to go.

UncleWillie

Captain

.... I would just leave a simple message, in view that says "In the area kayak fishing."

Perhaps a mini float plan in case you get into trouble. Like....

Kayak fishing up the Boondocks river 1/2 mile West.
1 Persons, Yellow Kayak.
Will return before 6pm. Sat, Nov 2.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

leave the key in the boat!
(but not in the ignition)

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Accoriding to Chapmans, anchored at day requires a "black ball" hung off the bow. I've not seen it done EVER around here (NC), but I've seen it done in the carribean and in international ports. At least it will let LEO's know you are anchored and not in distress.

iBoats doesn't sell one, but google says some other sites do. You can just paint a playground ball.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Perhaps a mini float plan in case you get into trouble. Like....

Kayak fishing up the Boondocks river 1/2 mile West.
1 Persons, Yellow Kayak.
Will return before 6pm. Sat, Nov 2.

This is good idea, I always leave a note (and map with intended campsites marked) on the dashboard when I backpack with my son.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Just as divers use certain flags when diving below, the black flag would be a wise choice. I admit I Have never seen one, but the LEO's would most likely know what this means.