Kawasaki Bayou question

das fisch

Seaman Apprentice
I have a '86 kawasaki bayou 300. 2x4, shaft drive, electric start and have a question. it's always been slow to start, which i attributed to a weak battery and have lived with that. well today went to start and after a bit of the starter turning i heard it finally get a good spark and go to start, then nothing. now when the key is on, button is put to run and i push the start button nothing. no clicks, no whine, no starter... silence. i'm getting power to the key as the neutral light comes on. what i'm thinking is:
-battery too low to spin starter
-starter frozen
-start button burned out
-possible cylinder is stuck and starter gear is engaged

i don't think there's a starter solenoid on this machine as i'm used to dealing with. any thoughts before i start digging in? thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Kawasaki Bayou question

Seems like a poor connection in the starter circuit. . .battery cable or connection.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Check and see that you are getting voltage at starter with starter button pushed.
Might have blown a fuse.
Check that first.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

No pull start back up??

I wouls also pull the plug and crank it with the plug out a few times. Sounds like an electrical problem and if the starter is gone just have it rebuilt.

I see you are in Maine..... cold? What weight oil is in the machine and when was it last changed? That will slow things up a bit.

das fisch

Seaman Apprentice

no pull start. trust me i was surprised too.
yeah, up in maine. not too cold today though. believe the oils 10w-40, small tractor weight. haven't changed it out in a while, only topped it off. suggestions for weight. preferably something that'll do alright in most temps. we typically don't get real cold here and it's always stored in a garage. not heated but rarely below freezing.