Just the facts

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
The attention that Force has recieved in the past week inspired a little research. (very little) But the history is somewhat interesting and knowing the facts and the footsteps of one of the more popular brands over history was worth posting IMHO.<br /><br />__________________________________________________<br /><br />Chrysler Marine History <br /><br /> <br /> <br /><br /><br /> Wow What a interesting thing to work on.. Tracking down the history of Chrysler Marine. Since this page was started I have met many wonderful folks who have been very helpful. <br /><br />Now I have seen Chrysler marine engines in older boats (1940's ) so I know that Chrysler was involved in the Marine market way back when but in what capacity I haven't determined . <br /><br />Lone star boats started out in Grand Prairie, Texas back in the 50's...In 1962 Lonestar moved their manufacturing plant to International Parkway, in Plano, Texas. <br /><br />Chrysler Buys Loanstar in 1965 <br /><br />I have picked up some 66 Brochures and the Boats have both names Loanstar and Chrysler on them!! <br /> <br /><br /><br />I just purchased some brochures which confirms that Chrysler bought out West Bend Outboards in January,1965. This first year they were known as a Chrysler/West Bend outboard. <br />So Chrysler entered the Boat and the outboard market with the 1966 model year. <br />The Boat division lasted to 1980 and the outboard division lasted to 1984 <br /><br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /><br /><br />I have talked to Rick who worked at Chrysler Outboard in Hartford and as he told me <br /><br />"We were told that as part of the government bailout, Chrysler had to sell off all it's neonate related businesses and concentrate on it's auto business. I believe we were the last to go. We all knew it was up for sale. It took until <br />'84 to find a buyer for the outboard business. Unfortunately it was Bayliner. When Bayliner took over, it promised to keep the business open for at least 2 years. After the 2 year period it was sold to Brunswick. The rest is history. " <br />Thanks for the Insight!!!! <br /><br />When Chrysler finally got out of the Marine business they sold the power boat division to Texas Marine International who discontinued production. Parts were sold by TMI to Doug Russell Marine, Worcester, Ma... The Sailboat Division was sold to TMI also, who intern sold the product line to Starwind Parts. Starwind Parts has since sold molds, Spare parts, sails, etc.<br /><br />-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- <br /><br />The Outboard Division was sold to U.S. Marine in 1984 who manufacture and market under the FORCE name <br /><br /><br /> http://www.hurrikain.com/thechryslercrew/history.htm

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Just the facts

Hey Kudos to you, Interesting informative and definatly the site for it. I do not own a force but you can bet your sweet bippy if I did I would be darn glad for the days of R&R it gave me. It is unfortunate that they catch so much slack here from the S.ame H.onorable I.nformed T.houghtless individuals that money is of no object to. It is also unfortunate that these same individuals do not recognize that the uncounted thousands who do still own them would rather spend the miniscual amount of money to repair when nessacary as opposed to the thouands of dollers to throw out a still functioning or reparable motor and purchase a high doller repower.<br /><br />Good natured ribbing is fair enoufgh but I do not understand the outright putdowns endured by the aformentiond masses. ;)

b20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hello.<br /><br />I watched the thread about the Force and think you will find the "putdowns" are more to do with the way the guy wrote up,not the engine

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

B20 welcome aboard the finest site on the net. I agree with you on that individual thread however there has been a longstanding tradition here that anyone with a engine problems on a FORCE could directley relate all problems to the name on the engine cowling without further considerations and should imediatly discard the motor and get a "real" outboard. It is also believed wrongley by many that no other outboard has problems just glitches. <br /><br />P.S. another word with simular connotations around here is (do I dare say it)...b-a-y-l-i-n-e-r....Quick take cover!!!

Link

Rear Admiral

Great read pointer<br />Not here in DC (I dont think) but Ive said before that one of Forces strong points is that if you bought the service manual it is so easy to work on. Really straight forward.<br /><br />Forgot to add that I looked real quick but couldn't find any shooting gun animation figures :D :D

b20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you for the welcome.Ihave seen manyposts about Bayliners and Force.I have each and no problems in 10years.Just regular service.Why the dislike of them?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

B20, Yup, and welcome from me too.<br />I don't wanna open an old can of beat-to-death worms iether, but have had two Bayliners,an hierloom 1953 Lonestar "sportster" 12ft aluminum boat (my namesake here on the forum), and four Force motors. They were all cheap and reliable, given good care.

radar750

Seaman

I guess I was/am one of those Same Honorable Thoughtless individuals. However money was an object.<br />I am not going to get onto Force bashing but lets just say I had one. Brand new 1996 and had to get towed in 4 times in 3 yrs because of Mech breakdowns. Maintained perfectly, every breakdown was Mech.Wether or not I have a manual or how cheap and easy they might have been to fix did not matter to me. I did not trust that motor and every timt I went out I had a feeling in the pit of my stomach not knowing I we would make it back.<br />That is not the way I wanted to boat, it did not have to be like that.I got rid of that motor, it just happen to be a Force, I would have gotten rid of it no mater what kind it was.

KaGee

Admiral

Sounds like Force motors should be in a museum somewhere.... right next to the Edsel, Yugo, and that stainless steel sports car.... what was it's name... :confused: ...darn!

KennyKenCan

Commander

KaGee,<br /><br />How could you forget the "DeLorean" sports car?<br /><br />
f6494f4f.jpg
<br /><br />Brought to you you, by the same man who invented the Pontiac "GTO", John Z. DeLorean.

KaGee

Admiral

Yeppers... that's it DeLorean. Must be a "Pre" Senior moment going on here.... A mind is a terrible thing to loose!<br /><br />I also forgot that Eastern European engineering marvel... I think it was called the Travant ???

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Radar, I'm pretty sure by 1996 Force was being made by mercury (seems like the LU was beefed up at that point?) and not USMarine. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that one. <br /><br />I had a 87 50hp Force and have since replaced it with a Johnson 48hp....the difference in speed and (so far)reliability is amazing. And the little 14' Bayliner it's hooked to....no complaints from me whatsoever. Aside from maybe getting a little splash here and there (nothin over the bow), that little sucker will take 4' waves with no problem. Very happy with it and looking forward to upgrading to a new to me Bayliner Trophy walkaround in the spring.

Twidget

Commander

I bought an '85 Bayliner with a 85hp Force on it in '87. I ran the heck out of that boat and motor for 8 years without a single problem. It wasnt quite a powerful as my dads 85 hp Johnson, but it could pull me around the lake on a tube with no problems.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

How many of you would never have gotten into boating if a bargain priced Force or Bayliner were not available as your first boat? Seems to me that they have created quite a few new boaters, and made a bunch of money for salesmen and mechanics. Be thankful they exist(ed).<br /><br />How to keep your Force running:<br /><br />Buy repair manuals and continually buy spare parts.<br /><br />I have 2 complete spare tilt and trim units, extra relays, two spare props, one complete lower unit, one new spare top cowl, two new impellers, fuel pump rebuild kit, spare fuel enrichment valve, 3 extra ignition keys, spare stator ( I'm still using the original black one !! ) and a spare fuel line and bulb. Almost had a complete "holed" powerhead, but someone took it from the shop before I could get there.<br /><br />All this stuff is taking up space, but it has chased the evil spirits away. :) for now. knock knock knock

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

B20...welcome from here too.<br />I think the whole Force bashing is like car bashing(Ford circled the problem,Fix Or Repair Daily,ect...)Being from Chrysler decent it inherited the ribbing.<br />Roscoe..were do ya sit :D

b20

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thank you fixin,another meaning for ford is Found On Rubbish Dump.i liked my fords,had 4 of them before my toyota truck.nobody deserves to be ribbed for what they own.if they go aspousing(sp) about its virtues then maybe,but not just because they own it.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I personally don't care what hangs on the back of the boat as long as i get to go along. ;) Every boat is an expression of their owner and what is done with the equipment and how it is treated is more important than the equipment itself. <br /><br />This board is as much advisory as technical. Peoples experiences do matter but how they are expressed may not always be in the manner most polite. As virtually any design can perform well in a given set of circumstances it is important that as a service to those who come to this board looking for information, the strengths and weaknesses of any and all products be put forth so an educated decision can be made. This is not an indictment/endorsement of any product, just an observation representing another chapter in the history of outboard motors and pleasure boating as a whole. Information is power and that is why we are here. We all enjoy boating whether it be by paddle, power or sail!

KaGee

Admiral

B-20... Welcome to the group.<br /><br />Roscoe... My buddy is like you, hoarding all kinds of spare parts. He says one way to guaruntee that a major part won't go bad is to keep a spare on hand!<br /> ;)