Just Purchased 1985 Bayliner Capri w/ 2.1 Volvo 260 Volvo Penta Out Drive

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Just Purchased 1985 Bayliner Capri w/ 2.1 Volvo 260 Volvo Penta Out Drive

Check out DB electrical for an alternator if you haven't ordered one already. They've got one for like 70 or 80.

There's nothing really straight-forward you can do about performance short of swapping the block from a b21 to a b23. A lot of the simple performance modifications that are applicable to a car don't apply to a boat. Intake or exhaust upgrades are nonexistent. If you want better performance out of this engine just keep everything well-maintained.

You could upgrade the points to electronic ignition. It won't really increase performance too much but it will be more reliable.

chpten8

Cadet

Do you know the part number for the alternator, your motor and mine are the same, I also need a Starter as well.

leakywire

Cadet

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-2243-new-starter-volvo-penta-inboard-sterndrive-marine.aspx

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-3611-...o-marine-mando-alternator-293-18-amn0002.aspx

This place is the best deal I've found so far for ignition components. I like to buy a lot of my stuff from iboats but starters and alternators are crazy expensive.

This starter is a direct replacement. The alternator is different but it *should* work. The wiring should be the same, the only thing to do would be to pull the pully off your old one and put it on the new one.

What was wrong with the old one? Hard to imagine that it was so bad that it was not rebuildable.

chpten8

Cadet

It was seized. And thanks for the links

leakywire

Cadet

Depending on your skillset you may be able to dismantle this alternator and replace the ball bearings, look for numbers 6203 or 6205 on the rubber protection caps - they are common sizes for this machinery.

chpten8

Cadet

That's doable let me tear into this thing, what's the worse that could happen I'm already gonna replace it!

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was thinking the same thing as leakywire. The ball bearings you can find online using the model number etched on the sides. You're going to need a soldering iron and desoldering tool to separate the windings from the rectifier on the back when you pull everything apart.

Is yours the Paris Rhone?

chpten8

Cadet

What is Paris Rhone? I know mines has plastic fins on it instead of metal, if that helps!
Also were you able to get a hold of the electrical diagram?!