Just picked this up.... How old is it?

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys I just picked up a 6hp evinrude from a guy on craigslist. We traded straight up for an older sears snowblower. Anyway, I need to know how I can find out what year it is so I can get the correct service manual. Also there is no info on it, how can I tell if its even a 6hp? I trust the guy I got it from, he was straight up about everything... I just want to be sure of what I have. It starts on the first or second pull, sounds real good. Its an old evinrude fisherman, since I dont know who the PO's were and if any maintenance was performed, I'd liek to knock it out this winter.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Just picked this up.... How old is it?

Look for a small plate on the port transom bracket. There will be a model and serial number there. What are those numbers?

If no plate, look on the powerhead for a core plug (looks like a quarter size freeze out plug) which mat also have those numbers.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What do these numbers mean? What can you tell me about it?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

It is a 1973. 6302SJ is the model number and the other number is the serial number. Great motors and very reliable. You made out good with the deal ;)
Check the lower unit and make sure no milky white oil comes out but normal looking oil instead. It probably would be a good idea to put a new impeller and thermostat in it, just for good safety measure. Mix is 50:1 Spark plug J6C

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is a 1973. 6302SJ is the model number and the other number is the serial number. Great motors and very reliable. You made out good with the deal ;)
Check the lower unit and make sure no milky white oil comes out but normal looking oil instead. It probably would be a good idea to put a new impeller and thermostat in it, just for good safety measure. Mix is 50:1 Spark plug J6C
Would you be able to verify the Hp? What kind of oil should I refill it with? What is a 50:1 mix, the fuel??? Thanks for the help.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yes, the horsepower rating is on the hood. The oil is High Viscosity Oil for manual shift motors which is available at any marine supplier and any variety store that sell marine supplies. Yes, 50:1 is the fuel mixture which comes to 2.56 ounces of TCW-3 2 cycle oil per gallon. If you mix more than a gallon, which you probably have a 4 or 6 gallon tank with that motor, you can use this fuel mix calculator on this link. http://www.csgnetwork.com/marineoilfuelcalc.html

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The hood was painted by the PO. I dont know the Hp. I have a 3 gallon tank... Thanks for the mixing ratio.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Oh darn. Well that link that kfa4303 posted for you will be a good help to you. A complete parts break down is always handy.
3 gallons? That would be 7.68 ounces of oil, but just round it up to 8 ounces or half a pint. One quart will do 4 tank fulls for ya.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The very first digit of the model number indicates the hp (6), the second digit indicates the year (3)... 1973.

The gearlube is called HiVis (80/90w) and is available at Wal*Mart, K-Mart, various marine stores, your dealership, etc. The trade name of "HiVis Gearlube" will be directly on the container.

DO NOT remove the phillips screw that you'll see on the lower unit skeg. That screw is a long shoulder bolt pivot point for the internal shift linkage.

The bottom large regular slotted screw is the drain/fill hole. The identical slotted screw further up the gearcase is the oil level screw. The unit is to be filled from the bottom until it flows out of the top oil level hole. When full, replace the top screw to create a air pocket, then quickly as possible, replace the drain/fill screw.

The 50/1 mixture means that one pint of 50/1 outboard oil is to be mixed with six (6) gallons of gasoline. a octane rating of 87 will be fine. (1pt of 50/1 oil to 6gal gas).

The J6C spark plugs are to be gapped at .030 .

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the tips. One more question... Where is the thermostat located? I found the waterpump housing on the diagram, nothing for the thermostat.

AlTn

Commander

look under cylinder and crankcase on the link that kfa4303 provided you

kfa4303

Banned

the t-stat is about as easy a fix as you can get. You basically just take the old one out and drop a new one in. You should be able to get it here at iboats for about $15, or so.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool thanks... I was at wallymart today doing a little christmas shopping for my kids and I wandered to teh boat section. I saw the oil, but didnt know how much to buy... How much will I need?

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The very first digit of the model number indicates the hp (6), the second digit indicates the year (3)... 1973.

The gearlube is called HiVis (80/90w) and is available at Wal*Mart, K-Mart, various marine stores, your dealership, etc. The trade name of "HiVis Gearlube" will be directly on the container.

DO NOT remove the phillips screw that you'll see on the lower unit skeg. That screw is a long shoulder bolt pivot point for the internal shift linkage.

The bottom large regular slotted screw is the drain/fill hole. The identical slotted screw further up the gearcase is the oil level screw. The unit is to be filled from the bottom until it flows out of the top oil level hole. When full, replace the top screw to create a air pocket, then quickly as possible, replace the drain/fill screw.

The 50/1 mixture means that one pint of 50/1 outboard oil is to be mixed with six (6) gallons of gasoline. a octane rating of 87 will be fine. (1pt of 50/1 oil to 6gal gas).

The J6C spark plugs are to be gapped at .030 .
Is this HiVis the best gear oil or just what walmart has? What is the best stuff to run? and like above, how much should I buy?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

HiVis is HiVis.... You can go to a dealership and pay a lot more for it if desired. However, you could have a chemist test the two makes and I bet there wouldn't be 2 cents difference in the quality.

That unit holds about 8.5 ounces so the quart of HiVis will hold you over for some time. Note that HiVis is used in all of the manual shift engines.