Just my luck!

Daddy5295

Seaman
02' 4.3L Merc. Pulled motor, rear main was leaking. Took oil pan off to inspect. The cam is bad (pitted lobes on 5 different lobes). Main bearing under oil pump is pure copper. The others aren't to bad. Motor was rebuilt 3 yrs ago due to not winterizing(previous owner). My question is??? Will a car or truck 4.3L work in a boat. Using my intake, flywheel, heads and I know I will need to buy a new cam and lifters anyway right? I'm just not sure whether to rebuild what I have or go to the salvage yard and find a low mile motor. Are marine motors special, as far as the block, oil pump, etc, etc.

I knew I should not have put the plug in on the last outing:rolleyes:

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: Just my luck!

02' 4.3L Merc. Pulled motor, rear main was leaking. Took oil pan off to inspect. The cam is bad (pitted lobes on 5 different lobes). Main bearing under oil pump is pure copper. The others aren't to bad. Motor was rebuilt 3 yrs ago due to not winterizing(previous owner). My question is??? Will a car or truck 4.3L work in a boat. Using my intake, flywheel, heads and I know I will need to buy a new cam and lifters anyway right? I'm just not sure whether to rebuild what I have or go to the salvage yard and find a low mile motor. Are marine motors special, as far as the block, oil pump, etc, etc.

I knew I should not have put the plug in on the last outing:rolleyes:

I would never buy a junk yard motor without already having planned a rebuild. So if you can salvage what you have save your money rebuild what you have.
As for the motors. They are the same (except for core plugs). Even the heads.

Daddy5295

Seaman

Thanks f, that was a friends recommendation, but I told him the same thing you said. Looks like the wife will just have to kill me, getting ready to spend alot of money on a very nice expensive boat I just bought 2 months ago:mad:

Daddy5295

Seaman

Hey thanks for the website, how long have you had your motor? No problems? Really dont want to go thru the motor again.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I did a 4.3 from them recently. don't have a ton of hours on it yet, but it runs well. They were good about doing what i wanted in terms of block, heads, cam, etc... It runs really strong with promise of even better things to come once I finish getting the jets and metering rods dieled in just right.

in Other words, don't have long term experience, but so far so good... and had several good receommendations from friends...

hope this is helpful

Daddy5295

Seaman

Thanks wca, Just replacing the cam and lifters I'm looking at $ 1,000 and that doesnt include machine work, gaskets and all the other stuff, might be worth a try.

f_inscreenname

Commander

For a grand you should be able to do a total rebuild (short of needing major machine work). Before you go any further you need to check this place out.
Chevy 4.3 - Master Kit
Federal Mogul Moly Rings
Federal Mogul Pistons
Federal Mogul Rod Brgs
Federal Mogul Main Brgs
Federal Mogul Cam Brgs
Melling Oil Pump
Federal Mogul Camshaft
Federal Mogul Lifters
Melling Timing Components
Pioneer Frost Plugs
Victor Gaskets
$347.89
I have used them for years and would go no where else. http://www.naparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=9677

Daddy5295

Seaman

Thanks inscreen I'll give it a check, was starting to get frustrated. However I pulled the pistons yesterday and they are 30 over, and the cylinder walls look like they have oil deposit stain on them, but I dont feel anything running fingernail across it. One cylinder does have a small spot that I can feel about this size . so if I need to rebore can it go more than 30 over?

Daddy5295

Seaman

Insreename I checked out the website, but my motor is a vortec, the block indicates it was manufactured in 2001. Having hard time locating parts on that website. Also I was told by boat dealer mercury had their own grind on the cam. Dont I need to stay with the same cam so the timing and ignition module (or whatever runs the advance) doesnt get out of whack?

f_inscreenname

Commander

You may have to give them a call but well worth it. You can change or upgrade anything you want in the kit. They will give you the cost of the original item toward the new.
As for the cam. Find the spec's on it. I bet they have the same just listed under something. I have always found a crossover.
As for the cylinders. I would have to see them and at least check them for out of roundness.

Daddy5295

Seaman

Planning on taking the crank and block to machine shop this week and have it checked. Thanks for your help