Just introducing myself. New boat owner here.

jchast

Cadet
Hey everyone.. My name is Jason. I have lurked here for awhile but never posted. I live in Beaver County, PA. I just bought my first boat as an adult. It's a 1997 Sunbird Spirit Anniversary Edition with a 1995 Evinrude 88SPL outboard and EZ Loader bunk trailer.

I bought it from my friend who had it in FL and used it on the suwanee river. I paid $1800.00 and he trailered it up here for me for $200.00. I don't think I did too badly. I grew up on boats. When I was a kid we had a 1977 Sea Star tri hall with a 1977 Evinrude 70 ouboard. When I was 17 my dad bought a 1987 24' Crestliner Saber with (I think) a 305 v8 outdrive... I can't remember if it was mercruiser or not.... But anyway, So I'm not totally new to boating, but perhaps a little rusty since I'm 33 now.

I plan on taking her out this Sunday for her maiden voyage on the OH river. I've ran it on muffs and it seems to run very well. I changed the lower unit oil and checked the wheel bearings on the trailer. The oil looked good and I had to replace the bilge pump power head with a new one and just went over everything and tightened up screws, lubricated stuff, etc.

I'm Looking forward to getting back on the water and just wanted to introduce myself. Does anyone on here boat around the beaver/midland area on the ohio river? Hopefully the rain takes a break or I might scrub this weekend just to be safe from access logs and river debris, etc.

Nice to meet everyone!

boat side view.jpgstern bench seat.jpghelm.jpgbow seating.jpgstereo & glove compartment.jpg

fuzzybob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Just introducing myself. New boat owner here.

Jason,

Welcome to iboats. Nice looking boat..... hope the weather holds fair for you.

pckeen

Commander

Welcome! :welcome:

That boat looks clean - very well cared for. Congrats on what looks like a great purchase, and enjoy your first trip out.

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome aboard. Nice unit! Have fun and remember be safe out there!

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats.

Have fun with the new boat. If it rains just park it in the garage and dream up what you want to buy for it.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Have fun and consider replacing the impellor soon unless the PO told you he did recently. I fished the Ohio River many times before I moved from that tundra region. Some around your area but more around Steubenville & Toronto Oh.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

That's a '97? Looks great!

Have fun.... and get some boater safety education, PLEASE.

Chief9

Seaman

Nice looking boat!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Their is a lot of crap in the OH river right now, the last 14 days of rain have it full of stuff.

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome! I've been on this forum a while and found this to be a great community of supportive and knowledgeable people. Feel free to post with any questions or concerns. You won't be disappointed. :)

jchast

Cadet

Hey everybody. Thanks for the welcome's and advice about the impeller and boater course. The impeller was changed by a marine service place near live oak, fl in October of 2012 and the boat hasn't been used since, so that's good. I have the receipt for the work done.

yes, the boat is a 1997. My buddy took great care of it... It's not perfect, but its in alot better shape then alot of the craft that I looked at on my hunt. Alot of people wanted silly money for stuff from the 80's that wasn't in 1/10th the shape this boat is currently in.

Unfortunately, there will be no boating this weekend... we just got major flooding in the area today, and it just started up here again in the last few minutes. My house was spared, but my wifes parents got flooded.... I was out there since 8am today helping them. Thankfully they have flood insurance. The ol' river will be too rampid this weekend for any kind of fun on the water. Ohwell... I owe my wife a dinner out anyway.

I actually took a boaters safety course in 2001 when I was going to buy a PWC, but I never got the PWC.... I want my wife to take one anyway because she needs to be just as knowledgeable and safe as I can be. Plus, it never hurts to get a refresher.

There is one question I would like to ask you guys:

I want to get extra transom drain plugs. My boat has a vinyl 3/4" threaded (measured thread to thread) drain plug with a bolt style head (like you could put a wrench on). I have been unsuccessful in finding any replacements online, including here on IBOATS. The only one I could come close to finding was a 3/4" brass snap plug, but it says its for livewells and baitwells... I dont know if you can screw in the plug to expand the rubber to make it fit tighter before clamping it or not... any insight on where I can find a good spare(s) plug for this size? OR... am I better off changing the drain tube all together... I think its just held in by 2 screws.

Thanks in Advanced.... Attached is a pic of the inlaws from this AM.. when the water was beginning to recede a bit...

I really feel bad for them. :(

HOUSE.jpg

pckeen

Commander

Ouch! Best wishes to you and your family.

GAMAYBERRY

Cadet

New to the forums myself, welcome aboard!! You will find lots of great people and great ideas here. As for the plugs, iboats offers a one-way plug that replaces the tube and plug. Even if you forget the plug, you won't take on water. Its a great $15 to spend!

Seasense One-Way Safety Plug - iboats