Just how much is 200 Billion dollars

Realgun

Commander
This a figured used again and again to understand what we need to do to rebuild N.O.<br /><br />Are we crazy? This is $500,000 per person!!!!<br /><br />I say we save what we can and help those other souls move to a better place i.e.- A place that is a lot less affected by Natural disasters other than California home of Fruits , Nuts, and Flakes.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Just how much is 200 Billion dollars

Thats enough to last me the rest of my life, if Im conserative. :D

Homerr

Commander

I will never understand WHY they want to rebuild it. It will simply happen again, and again, and...<br /><br />I was listening to one radio show, and they said approx. %50 of homes in NO was rented, therefore those people have no ownership/home to rebuild etc...<br /><br />So, why rebuild? Stupid to rebuild if you ask me. The people are already displaced, so move them to higher ground. Let the ocean have NO back. Building below sea level wasn't the smartest thing to do... !<br /><br /><br />H.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

If you have ever walked down Bourbon Street or have gone to the Garden District....You might have a clue.....Albuquerque? PUH-LEEZE.....It's always easy to say that something should be discarded when it doesn't suit your needs.....Am I a troll victim here?.....JK

tommays

Admiral

well this means we need to abandon the ENTIRE EAST COAST or at least 30 miles inland of it <br /><br />THE ENTIRE WEST COAST <br /><br />every were with trees that could burn down houses<br /><br />all the land that is near ANY river in the country <br /><br />and a bunch of places i cant think of right now but have been destroyed at least once buy some form of natural disaster<br /><br />IS THERE ANY PLACE LEFT TO LIVE ?<br /><br />tommays

gonefishie

Commander

To satisfy our ego I say instead of rebuild the whole thing, just save the important parts like the downtown, French Quarter area and spend the rest of the money on building a massive leeve around the place to ensure even a Cat. 5 won't bother it. Really I don't agrees with rebuilding it like the way it was because everybody know it will happen again. The gulf water is getting warmer and warmer every year and those storms will only get stronger.

dolluper

Captain

That's 200 billion in the US economy how can that be bad ,a lot of business's will prosper,the nation will grow.That way life will get better all around

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

200 Billion dollars is peanuts to a 10 Trillion dollar economy, congress spends much more for a lot less many times over :( <br /><br />Wait for the price tag when they decide to build the Katrina memorial :eek:

Copespitter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by dolluper:<br /> That's 200 billion in the US economy how can that be bad ,a lot of business's will prosper,the nation will grow.That way life will get better all around
With that rational why not dump a trillion into that cess pool and everyones life will prosper 5X as much.<br /><br />I say abandon that area. <br /><br />It seems the hardest hit areas of "Rita" were comparable to how hard N.O. got hit. <br />The Rita areas had damage but nothing like the destruction N.O. received because of the fact they are below sea level.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Is this a free market economy or isn't it? If it's commercially viable, investors will invest, developers will develop, if they build it, we will come.<br /><br />One thing's for sure, if the govt is paying for it of course they'll rebuild.<br /><br />Wonder how much it would cost to condemn the whole area, knock down the river levees & let the delta & swamp & marshland reconstitute. A big National Wildlife Rufuge, with airboat tours & everything.<br /><br />just a thought.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

WHy shoudl the government decide if to rebuild or not.<br /><br />Let the people and businesses return and then decide.<br /><br />I think New Orleans will be much smaller and only the good parts will live.<br /><br />There is no reason te rebuild the trashy areas. Most people didnt enjoy living there anyway.<br /><br />Ken

NYMINUTE

Captain

Its just a drop in the bucket compared to the money we give away to every jackdaw country in our world. We spend that on a space program that has yielded little in 40+ years. Hey, if funds get low, they will accept our contributing more.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Homerr:<br />It will simply happen again, and again, and...
And when it does happen again, I will just point and laugh. It's just god clearing out the idiots...<br /><br />Let's say you live below a dam and if it breaks you know your house will be covered in water. Let's also pretend you could predict earthquakes. There's a 5.0 earthquake predicted and you know the dam above your house can only hold up to a 3.0.<br /><br />Now, if that was your situation, would you stay in your house? Would you rebuild it, after they rebuild the dam again to only withstand a 3.0 earthquake? <br /><br />If you answer yes to any of those questions you should be sterilized immediately.<br /><br />If you're too poor to find transportation out of the city in an emergency, and too poor or stupid to buy flood insurance, you should NOT be living below sea level!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Who do you blame the stupid people on, the stupid parents, or the government that enables stupid people to survive.<br /><br />Ken

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think NO would make some great fishing structure, let the lake Ponchatrain (sp) take over and give guided underwater tours of the "New Atlantis" :)

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> Is this a free market economy or isn't it? If it's commercially viable, investors will invest, developers will develop, if they build it, we will come.<br /><br />One thing's for sure, if the govt is paying for it of course they'll rebuild.<br /><br />Wonder how much it would cost to condemn the whole area, knock down the river levees & let the delta & swamp & marshland reconstitute. A big National Wildlife Rufuge, with airboat tours & everything.<br /><br />just a thought.
I agree.<br />Let the State and local business decide. <br />If they want to re-build a city below sea level they should be able to do so.<br />But it is their decision and not mine. And because it is their decision they not me should pay for it.

Realgun

Commander

I guess some French person a long time ago had some smarts. some parts of N.O. never got flooded.<br />Those places can stay but the rest can be left out I.M.H.O. <br />Use the money to relocate them.<br /><br />
If you have ever walked down Bourbon Street or have gone to the Garden District....You might have a clue.....Albuquerque? PUH-LEEZE.....It's always easy to say that something should be discarded when it doesn't suit your needs.....Am I a troll victim here?.....JK
Nope I don't need to see N.O. I like it here. No floods as I live on a hill. No tornados usless you count dust devils. No Hurricanes either.<br />Earth quakes are under 4.0. <br /><br />If we only had some water. :D

Homerr

Commander

The least they should do is sign a waiver of sorts if they rebuild... "You build here and it gets destroyed... You're on your own"<br /><br />I can't imagine what the insurnace costs will be if they rebuild. :eek: <br /><br /><br />H.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Glad to see your safe and sound .....But I like to get out & see the world, and I have had some real good times in N.O.....Jazzfest for one....or two...or three.....The food & fun that I had there will be with me always.....Never been to Albuquerque but I might get a chance to see it this winter 'cos my woman has some business there.......Don't knock something unless you have tried it......Every one has their home town & is rightly proud of it....A little misfire from Alamogordo might have put you off the map, but I'm glad it didn't & I look foreward to seeing your fine town soon.....JK :D

gonefishie

Commander

where does the government get money to paid for everything? they can print some, borrow some, but mostly from our hard earned tax money. Have you ever thought about that when you favor wasting money?