just bought 2005 Sea Ray 220 Select - seller removed registration #s from the hull

Rclement6

Cadet
I live In Illinois where the Department of Natural Resources is always 4 months behind in processing boat registration applications. Is there any temporary #s or anything I can put on the hull until I get mine in the mail 4 months from now? I dont want to get pulled over by water patrol/conservation every weekend due to not having any visible registration #'s. I kinda had to go through this when I bought my seadoo years ago from Minnesota. It seemed like I was dealing with the Illinois Conservation every weekend since i had MN decals on my IL Seadoo. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Ryan

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: just bought 2005 Sea Ray 220 Select - seller removed registration #s from the hul

I would think the Department of Natural Resources would be the folks to ask that question. If it was a 2005 boat and the PO removed the numbers can you see the non weathered imprint of the old registration?

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: just bought 2005 Sea Ray 220 Select - seller removed registration #s from the hul

Take any paperwork you have pertaining to the boat and put it in a ziplock baggie, and tape it real good to the passenger side window, as far to the left as possible. If one of the water cops sees no number but sees the paperwork, they should leave you alone. That's how it's done around here when you buy a new boat--

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

In Washington State, the number stays with the boat regardless of owner (same as any vehicle or trailer). WTF did the previous owner remove them for? Apparently, that is not the procedure in every state.
In my case, the PO put the letters/numbers on so crooked that I removed them and replaced with a stencil from (drum roll) iBoats. Looks WAY better and easier to read.

UncleWillie

Captain

According to the IL DNR the Registration Numbers Transfer with the Title.
There was no reason to remove the Numbers.
Something is fishy!

You get a 120 day temporary permit as part of the application.
You should should have received the Registration papers with the Title.

Please tell us you have the Title!

Rclement6

Cadet

Yes, I have the title. Looking at the title, the original owner traded the boat in to a Texas boat dealer. Then it was reassigned to the Missouri boat dealer where I bought it. Since Texas and Missouri were involved, would those dealers have had a reason to remove the Illinois registration numbers from the hull?

StevNimrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Am I missing something here? You purchased the boat from a Missouri dealer, but the boat had IL registration numbers?

As to why they were removed - probably perceived liability. Many companies are scared to leave anything that can easily be traced back to them, just in case you get in an accident during the "buyer's remorse" period and there's some disagreement about who was legally liable when the accident occurred. It's a somewhat complicated (but also silly) legal issue, and the easy way around it is to not give a trigger happy plaintiff's lawyer any more bright ideas than he already has...even though that information could all be pieced together with about two seconds of research.

UncleWillie is spot on with the temporary operation aspect of the registration application. If you look at the IL registration form, you'll see that filling out the form gives you 120 days of temporary operation. If you haven't already submitted it, be sure the date that you fill in corresponds with when you actually put the form in the mail - you don't want to start burning your 120 days while the form sits on your desk over the weekend and halfway through next week. This hassle can likely be avoided by just doing it online, which should then give you the equivalent confirmation that you can use for your temporary operation. If you want to be triple dog sure about this, it might be best to give the IL-DNR a ring. Their contact info is on the last page of the registration form I linked, above.

Lastly, I'd think real hard about putting the completed application in a bag and taping it to your windshield. You might want to make a photocopy of the completed form, black out any sensitive information (on the photocopy), and place that photocopy in a bag taped to your glass somewhere. I guess that depends on how often you leave your boat unattended and where, and how particular you are about your personal information.

oldjeep

Admiral

Its March and you live in IL. When exactly do you think you'll be using that boat?

agallant80

Commander

Its March and you live in IL. When exactly do you think you'll be using that boat?

Funny.

Just keep the bill of sale with you. If you get pulled over they know how far behind the registration people are. Most of them are cool, they are just looking for people behaving like idiots.

Rclement6

Cadet

Well since its almost April and they are 4 months behind...Yes I absolutely plan to use the boat plenty here in Illinois before I get my registration back in June-July

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the boat had out of state hull numbers the IL DNR will reassign new IL numbers you will need to put on. That said, I would put the old numbers back on until you get the new numbers from the state. You are much more likely to get stopped with no numbers than out of state numbers. I never realized I was supposed to switch my numbers when I bought my last boat in WI, and ran those numbers for two years before a CPO noticed it during a safety check. Just keep your paperwork in the glove box and have it ready of you get stopped, but with some numbers on the hull chances are you won't get stopped.

Charlie in TX

Petty Officer 3rd Class

YMMV

I just bought a boat with TX registration numbers on the boat and a Texas issued title. Somewhere along the line, the PO registered the boat in Louisiana. I had to reregister the boat in Texas. The TPW issued new numbers.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Why do you say the DNR is always 4 months behind? We bought our boat in Illinois and were told that as well by the dealer. We went through quite an ordeal to get our title and registration for the boat, but it was because the sleazebag dealer in Peoria didn't turn in the paperwork! Once the paperwork was delivered, it took less than a month. Sometime the state is behind on sending out the renewal stuff for registrations, but that shouldn't affect you.

The delay really doesn't matter, anyway, since your application for registration also serves as temporary registration. After our experience, detailed in this thread, I am much less trusting of the dealer submitting the papers after we've signed and paid. We found the Illinois DNR workers very helpful and prompt as we tried to get our registration problem addressed.

Good luck,and don't be afraid to contact the DNR to ask where you are in the proces!

Jim

sweet addiction

Petty Officer 1st Class

I live in Wisconsin and have had many years in which I have been on the water in March with snow still on the ground. St. Loius is 6 hrs south of where I live.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

This time last year it was 82* and we were on the water already.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes, numbers do change from state to state. And sometimes nobody cares about the old numbers! ;)

Srunner.JPG

(I did get the old MN numbers off shortly after this pic!)

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you have the old registration just put the old numbers back on till you get your papers.

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PO pulling off registration stickers aside, congratulations on the boat purchase! Where's the pics! :D