Just because something fell overboard doesn't mean it's lost forever

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I'm a scuba diver and as a P.S.A. I just want to say if you lose something overboard and it's in reasonable depths ie less then 150ft of water and would like it back mark the exact position on you gps and head out to your local scuba shop let them know what you lost and that you marked the location on your gps and most are willing to go out and find said item two years ago five of us went out to go recover an outboard that jumped off a transom we didn't ask for money he offered and we told him to make a donation to the boat most divers look for an excuse to go and dive and removing foreign and possibly hazardous materials out of the water is very important to us so I reiterate just because it fell overboard doesn't mean it's lost forever as long as you take the right steps

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I lost an anchor ... I know about where it is ... :D Come on down I'll give ya a case of beer whether ya find it or not ! ;)

alldodge

Staff member
Agree little ray, it's not lost, just real hard to find in a lake, not so much in an ocean.

As for anchors, there are several lost every year at the lake, most are in more then 60 feet of water, so once you get below the 20 foot or so mark the thermal cline comes in and it gets dark. Bottom is soft silt, so finding is real hard, I have found some, but it ain't easy.

I know where a guy lost 110 foot of chain and anchor in 65 feet, and one of these days I'm going down to look but so far not high on the list

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep , I guess I would have to offer a little more than a case of beer to make that trip ..
I do have a brother thats pretty big into scuba diving .. He has cave certification and all .. Funny about bringing stuff up .. I told him the other day when I was over at his house that I had lost my anchor . He walked over to a pile of stuff and picked up a nice anchor almost identical to mine .. Said here ya go I pulled this one off a wreck while spearfishing a while back .. It was a good anchor so I wasn't about to leave it there ...
Thanks bro !! :cool:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh I sure wish I had the ability (GPS wasn't readily available at this time) to have marked places long ago. Nice, I mean really nice, rod and reels over board teaching my sons to cast and fish. And I am equally ashamed of how I handle those situations as well. Of course I yelled at them, but felt bad afterwards and since changed my ways. But I am sure there are many really find rods and reels laying out there for whomever swims by them... :facepalm:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Yep last summer I pulled a brand new Abu Garcia bait caster out of the water I went to the local bait shops and asked if they heard of anyone losing the rod the guy who lost it was overheard us and described it to a tee he also marked it and told me they were his initials and where he lost it he was very thankful