Just a fun day at the range, I hadn’t been in a few years. I’ll never make that mistake again.

FLATHEAD

Commander
The more you bring, the more you gotta clean (or neglect) afterward. I hardly ever go anymore. If I was retired I might find the time/energy again.
I’m retired and I just don’t shot all that much anymore. I can shoot right at home if I want. Have plenty of ammo but just can’t justify the cost of burning it up to put holes in paper. Safe full of dust collectors both hand guns and long guns. I do go through some drills with my EDC once in a while.

If you want to do something interesting try the Eli Dicken challenge/ drill. Very tough.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That's dang good. Wonder what cal? Very little barrel movement.

Steel targets are alot more fun than putting holes in paper, like hickok45's dream range..

FLATHEAD

Commander
That's dang good. Wonder what cal? Very little barrel movement.

Steel targets are alot more fun than putting holes in paper, like hickok45's dream range..
Maybe 32 cal? I have a nice Ruger single six Bisley that takes 32 H&R. Real sweet shooter

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My indoor range is open 24/7/365 except for an hour once a month when the club has a meeting. Membership is $50 a year and the range fee is $0. It's 5 miles from my house.

The outdoor ranges are only open 9AM to sundown.

I started loading my own ammo in 1971. In 1975 I started casting my own boolits. I got a lifetime supply of lead from my Dad for free. He was a printer and his shop closed down. Right now I can do a box of any handgun loads for about $2.50. That was with 2020 component prices. When the News Lady on TV said "pandemic" I knew it was time to buy a 15 year supply.

My personal camp out in the boonie woods has a covered rifle and a covered pistol range that I built myself. Anything goes there.

The "rest of the story" is that I live in NY. I have friends that purposely moved south to "gun friendly" states, only to find that ranges cost a fortune and they are a long drive away. So much for the grass is always greener.....

FLATHEAD

Commander
My indoor range is open 24/7/365 except for an hour once a month when the club has a meeting. Membership is $50 a year and the range fee is $0. It's 5 miles from my house.

The outdoor ranges are only open 9AM to sundown.

I started loading my own ammo in 1971. In 1975 I started casting my own boolits. I got a lifetime supply of lead from my Dad for free. He was a printer and his shop closed down. Right now I can do a box of any handgun loads for about $2.50. That was with 2020 component prices. When the News Lady on TV said "pandemic" I knew it was time to buy a 15 year supply.

My personal camp out in the boonie woods has a covered rifle and a covered pistol range that I built myself. Anything goes there.

The "rest of the story" is that I live in NY. I have friends that purposely moved south to "gun friendly" states, only to find that ranges cost a fortune and they are a long drive away. So much for the grass is always greener.....
Hasn’t NY outside of NYC relaxed the criteria to obtain a concealed carry permit?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Hasn’t NY outside of NYC relaxed the criteria to obtain a concealed carry permit?
NO. A NY permit is a state wide permit. The recent Supreme Court decision that "relaxed" things (yeah right) had the opposite effect - it screwed all New Yorkers.

We used to have to take an 8 hour course and it was easy peasy. If you had a semi-valid reason you got a full carry permit. If not you had a restricted permit good for the house, hunting, target shooting, etc. Now it's days in classroom, have to show competency on a range, etc. If you DO have a full carry, you just about can't carry it anywhere.

As far as NYC, those local counties have the same classroom rules, but permits are almost never allowed due to specific restrictions.

FLATHEAD

Commander
Y
NO. A NY permit is a state wide permit. The recent Supreme Court decision that "relaxed" things (yeah right) had the opposite effect - it screwed all New Yorkers.

We used to have to take an 8 hour course and it was easy peasy. If you had a semi-valid reason you got a full carry permit. If not you had a restricted permit good for the house, hunting, target shooting, etc. Now it's days in classroom, have to show competency on a range, etc. If you DO have a full carry, you just about can't carry it anywhere.

As far as NYC, those local counties have the same classroom rules, but permits are almost never allowed due to specific restrictions.
That sucks. Typical case of “ the many pay for the actions of a few”
Pa is surprisingly not too bad considering the political affiliation of the legislature, Background check, photo taken and that’s about it. I was able to do my last renewal online and just go to courthouse and have pic taken and get new card.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Y

That sucks. Typical case of “ the many pay for the actions of a few”
Pa is surprisingly not too bad considering the political affiliation of the legislature, Background check, photo taken and that’s about it. I was able to do my last renewal online and just go to courthouse and have pic taken and get new card.
NY permits are good for life. No need to renew. You only lose it if you commit a crime. We DO have to "re-certify" every 3 years, but that's no more than filling out a form online to verify that your address is the same, etc.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I'm soooo spoiled in TN.
My son was one of the ones that moved to TN, partly to get away from gun restrictions. His local indoor ranges are prohibitively expensive, you don't get to reclaim your brass, so no need to be a reloader. Outdoor ranges are far away for him.

Regardless, screw the guns. His brand new house was run over by a tornado last weekend. People died on his very street.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I'm soooo spoiled in TN.
Most of the country is, if you happen to look at the carry map. It's mainly the east and west coast that take issue. Travel freely for the most part in the central parts. IL, Mn, NM can be a stickler. FL even recently got on board with the majority...

southkogs

Staff member
Regardless, screw the guns. His brand new house was run over by a tornado last weekend. People died on his very street.
Jim, I'm so sorry to hear that. I know people up in that area, but nothing more than minor damage to folks I know. I'm involved with one of the organizations doing relief work, and know a couple of other groups that are working. Tough time of year for that to happen to people.

If there is a specific need that I can try to help him with, please PM me. People down here want to help.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Jim, I'm so sorry to hear that. I know people up in that area, but nothing more than minor damage to folks I know. I'm involved with one of the organizations doing relief work, and know a couple of other groups that are working. Tough time of year for that to happen to people.

If there is a specific need that I can try to help him with, please PM me. People down here want to help.
Thank you for your concern. Right now the main concern is to secure the roof. Contractors are canvassing the neighborhood so there is help around.