Junk in Fuel-Blown Engine

CLAYC

Petty Officer 3rd Class
'01, Merc 2.5L, 200 EFI on 20' Triton...

Last Wed, one mile from ramp, I lost the #6 cylinder. Upon pulling the plug, head, then engine, it seems the fuel injector failed. Here's my observations when disassembling the engine.. #6 cyl, Totally dry.. (destroyed piston and need of being bored). Fuel in evaporator canister looked "green" like it should. Fuel filter was full of this yellow colored plastic looking junk. (filter was changed this spring). The screen on the high pressure pump (in canister) had some trash on it,(*1) but the fuel in the bottom of the canister was so full of particles, it was cloudy. And, after letting it sit overnight in a mason jar, the heavy participates settled out, but the fuel is still cloudy.

With the above info; What is the yellow crap in my fuel filter? What is the junk (*1) in solution that I poured out of the canister that is making the fuel cloudy? Could this be the cause of the #6 injector failure?

I'm very picky where I fuel my boat. I always go to stations which move a lot of fuel, so the fuel stays fresh. I'm wondering if I just got some BAD fuel or if someone has dumped something into my fuel tank causing this...(and yes, I've already drained the fuel tank into 5 gal jugs)

Second: I'm thinking of just buying a PRO XS and being done with it.. (since the damn injectors are $500 ea, and I haven't even began on the block)(they are going to Tony Brucato before a decision is made)... Whats the difference between a plain Optimax 225 and the ProXS 225?

Thanks in advance.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Junk in Fuel-Blown Engine

Sounds as tho you got the bottom of the tank at the gas station. Yellowish stuff is probbly water and ethinol an water mixed and the particals are dirt from the bottom of the inground tank. Water in the fuel will burn pistons after awhile if running WOT. Ethenol fuel is made for motors that are run every day, and will seperate if water is present, and settle to the bottom of the tank where the pickup tube is getting fuel from. I never use ethenol gas in and motor other than my truck and car. Check for Pure Gas on web browser for stations that sell non ethenol gas near you.
Oldman570

CLAYC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I stay away from Ethanol fuel. But, problem being, who knows what you are really buying at the gas station.

I wonder if this would be covered under insurance? If I could prove water in fuel or excess ethanol, I'd take a bill to the gas station I fueled up. But, all the evidence went out the exhaust, along with engine.

Blown Challenger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not to sound dumb but if 1 of the injectors fails it will burn up a piston?

CLAYC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not to sound dumb but if 1 of the injectors fails it will burn up a piston?

Oh yes, the piston was burned, pitted, and pieces burnded away on the exhaust side. The cylinder wall had aluminum, from the piston, deposited and embedded from the top of the stroke to the bottom. (from lack of lubrication)....

Blown Challenger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Chit,Mines got a miss.Geuss I shouldt go hit the lake and run the crap out of it to unblock the injector(if thats the prob)

CLAYC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Chit,Mines got a miss.Geuss I shouldt go hit the lake and run the crap out of it to unblock the injector(if thats the prob)

Pull the injectors and send them to Brucato Injector Service. Tony will clean,check, and balance them,,, $$$$ well spent.

Blown Challenger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im not 100 sure if its the injectors.Doesnt seem the be on the spark side.Having trouble diagnosing.