Jump Seat

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am getting ready to make a couple jump seat for the stern next to my doghouse. I was going to make these out of 2x4s and then encapsulate the wood. Now I am thinking I may not need to use 2x4s but maybe 1x3s. What do you guys think? Do you think 1x3s would be too weak? Here is a picture of my plans. I have a 12 gallon fuel tanks that goes under these so the backside only has a diagonal brace to keep the seat from racking.

Jump.jpg

Jason

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Jump Seat

that is going to be a very uncomfortable seat. instead of a 2x4 for the back support, use a 2x6, and cut it down, with a 2 1/2 to 3 inch angle. also if you mortise your joints, they will be much stronger, if you use plywood on the back you do not need the angle brace. Mortising is where you cut, 3/4 out of each piece of lumber so they sit flush, and lock together.

seatframe001.jpg

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for the input.

There will be an angle to the back rest. I just didn't know what it was when I was doing the drawing. It is a really tight space these are going into. The overall opening is 20" the fuel tank is 16.25" wide. That is why I was thinking 1x3 with some plywood skin.

Jason

Stoutcat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Jason,

The standards per person are:

*18" high for the seat
*24" wide
*16" - 18" deep for the seat
*16" - 18" high for the backrest
*15 degrees tilt back (Exactly as tashasdaddy drew it by the way!) Note... You might be able to save space here and back it off to 10 degrees.
(I used to be a cabinet maker :))

I think 1 X 3 would be too light... It's going to take a pounding...

Also keep in mind cushion sizes...

Alan

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Jason,

The standards per person are:

*18" high for the seat
*24" wide
*16" - 18" deep for the seat
*16" - 18" high for the backrest
*15 degrees tilt back (Exactly as tashasdaddy drew it by the way!) Note... You might be able to save space here and back it off to 10 degrees.
(I used to be a cabinet maker :))

I think 1 X 3 would be too light... It's going to take a pounding...

Also keep in mind cushion sizes...

Alan

Coincidentaly this is what the measurements came out to except the backrest is only going to be 14" high and the seat is only 20" wide.

I decided last night that I was just going to stick to the 2x4. I was thinking about saving weight but it is not that much different.

Thanks for the input.

Jason