JTexas

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey man I caught my first 2 hybrids last weekend. I am now officially, 100 percent, bonified hooked on these fighting devils. I caught a 18 incher and a 19.5 incher. Are these good or are they just average for these fish? By the way they were at Lewisville, east of the I-35 bridge, over a 22-25 foot hump in the middle of the water. When we going?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: JTexas

I'd say bigger than average, fatpratt, mostly you hear about a lot of 15-17 inch. The lake record is 12 pounds at 28 inches, state record is 20 lbs at 35 inches.<br /><br />Pound for pound they put up a better fight than sandies I think.<br /><br />The area you were fishing is referred to as the Pockrus humps.<br /><br />Can't go this weekend (honey-do weekend) but how about next Friday the 18th?<br /><br />john.gena@sbcglobal.net

KaGee

Admiral

Another inch of snow here on top of two from yesterday. You boys just have to rub it in don't you!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I been launching at Arrowhead Park, first exit after you cross the I-35 bridge (Lake Dallas exit) & turn right. It's a city park, no marina or store or anything.<br /><br />I'll bring my boat but we'll be pretty crowded if Kenny comes - it's just a 15 footer. And not very good in rough water; a stiff wind like today's will keep us off the main lake but that area either side of the bridge should be okay. A big 'ol center console would be more comfortable if you got one.<br /><br />Time you want to get started? 10 or 11 okay?<br /><br />Send me an email john.gena@sbcglobal.net<br /><br />Kagee, come on down, we'll take two boats. It's only a 16 hour drive! :)

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

I need to beg my boss, my brother in-law, so we'll see. Sorry so long to respond. I hope he's having a good day tomorrow. That's where I launch. Yeah I made the mistake and went out on Eagle Mountain last Saturday, needless to say when I got into open water I turned my little but around and hugged the banks. I knew it was windy but dang if it wasn't 40 mph. Saturday.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Didn't make it today; took a vacation day but it was so dang windy, had some stuff around the house to do anyway, plus I got the back deck installed in my boat.<br /><br />Weather forecast looks good for tomorrow; I'll be out there early, probably stay all day. If you see an old blue Kingfisher with a big yella hound dog & a guy looks like he's not catching anything, stop by & say hello. If they're not biting down by the bridge, come on around the Lewisville Park point to the old Lake Dallas cut, I'll probably be somewhere around there.

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Went Saturday and Sunday. Tore em up. Saturday was 19 sandies and 6 keeper hybrids and 3 crappie. Sunday we caught 7 hybrids but they were all about 17inches. Maybe 10 sandies. we were throwing them back so I lost count. My buddy kept them Saturday, eggs and all, made me mad but near that hump and in front of the bridge is hot. One day we'll meet up as I think I found my new favorite fish to go for.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

...my new favorite fish...
welcome to the dark side! :) <br /><br />6 keeper hybrids - that is some good results!<br /><br />I went Saturday, might have driven right past you. Got out there about 10 & tried to get out to the main lake, but with 20mph north wind, those big old 3-foot rollers were too much! Headed back & decided to try west of the bridge. <br /><br />Caught a couple off that second point on the north side at Point Vista park, found somebody's sunken brush pile on the south side just off a dock. Then just for fun decided to go exploring up the creek; way, way up the creek, maybe 2 or 3 miles. Met several crappie fisherman catching nothing on minnows, met up with a bass fisherman who was pulling some nice ones out every once in a while on a blue tube jig. Caught 3 or 4 small LMB on a 3-inch bluegill storm wild-eye. Caught 3 or 4 small whites on a 2-inch pearl sassy shad.<br /><br />The water up in the creek was 60 degrees. Saw several beds, I suspect bluegill; I couldn't see any fish on 'em, but Dusty (my big yella hound dog) was doing the fish dance, so I'm sure he saw 'em. Made a few casts with weightless salamander and then a crappie jig, no takers.<br /><br />Came back out around 4, lake was way more calm, caught a few big sandies on Deadman's point and a few more just inside the Lake Dallas cut. The water in Lake Dallas was warmer also, 58.5 degrees.<br /><br />Lewisville has never been as consistent for me as Cedar Creek or Richland Chambers, but on a windy day or any other time I don't want to drive 100 miles to fish, it's a pretty good back-up plan.<br /><br />What does your boat look like? I'll look for ya next time out there.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

What type of fish are you Texans calling "SANDIES”? I assume that the hybrids you’re talking about are "WIPERS" cross between male white bass and female striped bass :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

"Sandies" are white bass, and hybrids are the wipers like you described. Sometimes they're hard to distinguish, but it's about a $75 fine to keep a hybrid under 18", limit of 5. The sandies min length is 10", limit = 25, but I can't get a good fillet off a fish under about 13".<br /><br />You just about have to french-kiss these fish to tell whether or not you can take 'em home to dinner. Meaning that sometimes you catch a hybrid looks just like a white, and the only distinguishing characteristic is the tooth patch on the tongue. That's what the game warden will use to decide whether to write you up. Only sometimes the tongues are hard to tell one from the other. If you submit a lake or state record white bass, Parks & Wildlife will not record it as a record until they've done genetic testing to confirm its pedigree.<br /><br />They say wipers can't successfully reproduce, but I know they mix in with spawning sandies & I'm pretty sure we got a sizeable population of non-thoroughbred white bass!<br /><br />Hey fatpratt, did you know that over 5 million striped bass were stocked into Lewisville between 1975 and 1984? I hear about one being caught every now & then, but not any really big ones.

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

We had to pull out the ol' trusty Texas Parks and Wildlife handbook to tell what teh difference was between the two fish. At first I thought the 16-17 inchers were just the biggest sandies I had ever seen. But they were just throwbacks. And yes we did speek to the nice gentleman driving a boat that said "Game Warden". Asked if we had our liscense and we said yes so he left. Simple as that. My boat is a White Astro fish and ski with green and gold graphics (the glittery kind)and a Mercury 125. Always two guys that are at least 250 lbs are in it. sometimes one guy is 350 so you can't miss us. My buddy mentioned a friend of his catching some large stripers on Cedar Creek over the weekend. Just to let you know. I will try and get details for you whenever I can.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jtexas thanks up her we just call white bass white bass or whites. I live on Milford Lake Kansas the state has three fish hatcheries the largest is on Milford. I catch a bunch of wipers every year some over 8lbs. Never heard whites called sandies before. :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by fatpratt1996:<br /> ... two guys that are at least 250 lbs are in it. sometimes one guy is 350 ...
I don't mean to be insensitive, but if your buddy's weight is fluctuating by 100 lbs, you might want to suggest he see a doctor! :D :D :D

LewisW96

Seaman Apprentice

I want to go. I'm just south of Dallas, but going to Lewisville for some fishing might be worth it. I work 3rd shift so just about any day would be great.<br /><br />Lewis

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Hey Lewis, I never have yet met up with fatpratt but it's probably just a matter of time. <br /><br />Friday I headed up to Grapevine, heard reports of sandbass spawning up in Denton Creek. Launched at Marshall Creek Park & went up about a half-mile past the hwy 377 bridge, only caught seven sandies & one little largemouth. All spread out, no two came from the same hole. I tossed crankbaits, tailspinners, rattletraps, but caught all my fish on a two-inch pearl sassyshad tail-dipped in chartreuse spike-it. Don't know if it made any difference, but I didn't catch any after the white paint wore off the jighead. Guy at the ramp said I didn't go far enough, seems there's a deep pool where Henrietta Creek joins Denton Creek, is where he thinks I shoulda gone, but then he was bass fishing all day. Water up the creek was 68 degrees.<br /><br />Ever been to Cedar Creek Lake? I'm watching the weather forecast, if it looks like the wind will be manageable I'm anxious to get back out there next weekend, otherwise Lewisville is a pretty good candidate.<br /><br />I usually fish every other Saturday, is the deal I made with the wife, I told her Friday was a "bonus" day & wouldn't affect my regular schedule. ;) Hope that works. It's not like I need permission to go fishing or anything, right? But if she's not happy, nobody's happy, if you know what I mean.

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

I heard the same thing about Grapevine. We went there and caught jack squat. It was a royally bad day on the lake as far as fishing went. I could barely catch any shad for my backup catfishing. I'm going into a tournament on the 17th I think it. It's on Cedar Creek. Any pointers would be cool JTexas. I've never been there. What f/f do you have. I think it is time to upgrade. I'm tired of making due. Some money is just gonna come up missing from the bank account. I'll fess up sooner or later.

LewisW96

Seaman Apprentice

I just got the boat this last fall. Only been to Joe Pool and Tawakoni. What time do you leave on Saturday? I work Friday night but can leave early if need be.<br /><br />Lewis