Johnson Water Pump Change Update and Questions

Changed the water pump on my Johnson 112VR yesterday and reinstalled the lower unit and it peed just like it was supposed to from the tell tale.

Thought I was home free until I tried to re-attach the shift cable and it didn't quite line up. So, I pulled the unit off to measure the cable. When I did, I noticed some water here and there on the lower unit. BTW, I ran the motor with ear muffs only.

I have a few questions:

Should I expect to see some water in this area after running it with the muffs? I know the mating surfaces aren't watertight anyhow, but does water get into this area during this type of circulation? I am 99% sure that the water tube was seated properly.

Do most people change the exhaust housing adaptor seals every time they change the impeller?

Finally, what do most of you put on the lower mounting bolts when you re-attach the gear case; grease, anti seize, permatex?

Thanks,

Gravysandwich

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Johnson Water Pump Change Update and Questions

The exhaust housing gasket need not be changed unless damaged. Bolts should be coated with either non-hardening Permatex or brush on gasket cement. Never use a copper bearing anti-seize anywhere on an outboard.

I have no idea what you're talking about regarding water on the LU. There are a bunch of drain holes and water comes out of all of them when running on the hose.