Johnson TN28 outboard carb.

Old56

Seaman
I'm having a problem with the chamber flooding and coming up through the Float pin hole, I cleaned the cork and float pin and seat,is there a gasket that the float pin rests upon at the bottom of the chamber?i didn't see one when I took it apart. I have researched it and it only says float pin seat,am I missing something? any help Would be great thanks by the way it's a T style carburetor.

L

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No gasket, it relies on a perfect fit between the tapered needle and the seat. Actually, the same as almost all float-feed carburetors (except the more modern ones with soft-tip needles). I would suspect a bouyancy problem with the cork float. With slight modification, a Nitrophyl Mercury float will work and last a long time. Get one here.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
Since you have the carb apart you may as well replace the leather seals. If you don't them you may have leaks still, and the high-speed adjustment wheel on the top will be loose without the leather seals for packing. Lloyd Lautner (sp?) from over at the AOMCI makes them, or you can buy them from Effenaco. Just do a Google search.

Old56

Seaman
Ok thanks for the info,I tried to make a new cork out of bottle stoppers it was my first attempt guess I'll try one more time and if no success I'll purchas e the float from mercury and modify it. Thanks for all your help

Old56

Seaman
Just a follow up on the tn28 carb problem,it turns out the cork I made was ok. I missed a little piece of debris on the bottom of the float pin,should have been wearing my glasses the carb and motor are now running great thanks to all the forum members that responded I couldn't have fixed this outboard without your help. Now on to the next motor.