johnson pump change tip

mrimike

Seaman
I thought i would share a tip i found.. Its not by the book but works great.

Upon changing the impeller today i couldnt get it to spin off the shaft.. the tiny woodruff key and corrosion made it difficult. After pulling my hair for a second i decided to put some heat on the impeller and melt the key... and wouldnt you know it the key just melted away and the impeller slid off with no effort...the key is a plastic composite stuff.

Also if you need to pull the shaft out you dont need to buy the expensive tool from the dealer.. I just clamped a vise grip up top(just below the splines) and gave it a pop with a BFH and it popped right out of the lower unit. easy as pie... i wanted to purchase the tool from the dealer but its was near 100$ ouch!

Also upon assembly of the new impeller i found it was a nightmare getting the big o ring to stay in place on the impeller housing so i put a tiny dab of super glue to hold it in place and it worked out great...

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: johnson pump change tip

Not all impeller keys are plastic! Not all keys are Woodruff keys. Some impellers are driven by a pin though the shaft.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: johnson pump change tip

yep. usually taping the hub of the impeller will break them loose.