Johnson outboard propellers

volnavy001

Cadet
Can anyone tell me the correct propeller for a 1990 Johnson 15hp outboard, serial # J15RESR? I've looked at several websites that list multiple different props. I ordered what I thought was the correct prop from (0778773 - Prop, Aluminum 9.25x11) but it didn't fit... Also, I can't find any demissions on the old prop. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
How did that prop not fit? Because that # is for your motor. The factory supplied prop would have been 9.5x10.

volnavy001

Cadet
The propeller shaft was too short to get the screw back on and thrust bushing did not fit.

volnavy001

Cadet
So this is what I'm working with. The thrust washer doesn't fit, trust me. Also the inner hub is too big...

Attachments

• IMG_0147.JPG
    IMG_0147.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4909.JPG
    IMG_4909.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8044.JPG
    IMG_8044.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Go back to your dealer and see what thrust washer you need. Take the props with you, and also the thrust washer you currently use. Are either of the Props OMC/BRP?

volnavy001

Cadet
The original is OMC and the replacement is Solas. As best I can tell the the hub on the replacement is a larger diameter and seems to be missing something. Or I might be crazy. Should the new propeller come with its own thrust washer?

My dealer has been out of business for years and there is no local guys that work on Johnsons...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The original is OMC and the replacement is Solas. Should the new propeller come with its own thrust washer?.

Maybe I'm being a wee bit optimistic but... Well that pretty much solves it. Two non compatible brands
Is the Solas a Permanent Hub specific to OMC/BRP, or is it a Prop that you chose a Hub Kit? If the former, a Thrust Washer may or may not come packaged with the prop, Less than Ethical Retailers have been known to remove Thrust Washers from the boxes, to sell as a needed part.
Example: Mercury brand Props are shipped with a Hub Kit, and included in the price. The Quicksilver Brand does not, so it needs to be purchased separately.
If the prop requires a Hub Kit, then the Thrust washer is usually part of the kit.

Last edited:

volnavy001

Cadet
I think you are right jimmbo. But it is weird that this particular prop is recommended as a replacement for this specific motor. I'm pretty sure the hub did not come with the prop. Thanks for your help.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The prop, with the appropriate Hub, will probably fit several brands of Engines