Johnson has spark then no spark

f_inscreenname

Commander
A friend of mine has a 1985 Johnson 235 bubble back with an issue.
When he puts the spark plugs in the motor they will not spark. He has bypassed the control box, switched about everything he can. Still noting.
Battery is fine. Cranks fast enough. Spark plugs fire when pulled out but if you even put your finger over the plug hole and spin the motor (just that tiny bit of compression) there will be no spark at the plug again.
Any ideas?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Johnson has spark then no spark

Auto stores sell adjustable spark testers for $10, set the gap to 7/16th inch and crank it with all plugs out/grounded.
It will fail , gold yellow spark is a fail, blue snap is good.

He is looking at stator or power pack, assuming the battery is fully charged and cranking the engine over at 300rpm.
He needs the factory service manual and a DVA to use with a multimeter to test the staor and pack.
Or see if you can look under the flywheel, if theres any melting plastic dripping down it needs swapping out.

jonnymarquis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Johnson has spark then no spark

my 125 had the same problem once last year but it was the battery. i thought it was charged enough because it seemed to spin motor fine but it turned out after making sure it was fully charged it fired right up.