Johnson GT 150 Tilt/Trim

87Chap

Cadet
Im having problems with my motors tilt and trim. for some reason when we press the switch it does not go up or down. THe wiring is sound and very new. (but possibly wired wrong??) We removed the engine cover and located the relays. when we removed one of the relays the motor would automatically go up. when we replaced that one and removed the other the motor would go down. so we know the TNT motor works. posibly a bad relay?? any help would be great

Thanks

Bruce San

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Johnson GT 150 Tilt/Trim

The trim motor starts running when you remove the relay?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

What you are describing should not happen. My guess is that it is wired incorrectly. OMC made a change in motors and wiring a few years earlier. They went from a 3-wire system to a 2-wire system. You may have some incorrect parts/harnesses mixed on your engine.

factou

Recruit

Me and my father in law had the same exact problem with our 1992 150hp GT tilt and trim. After looking around, we found that one of the relay's under the motor casing, in the back of the motor, was shot (hella was the brand), we replaced that and have not had any problems with it so far.