johnson/evinrude compatability?

:confused: I have a 1983 35hp evinrude with a bad lower unit..does anyone know if a 1979 johnson lower unit is able to be put on evinrude? Both are longshafts, 35 hp. Thanks :confused:

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson/evinrude compatability?

They don't show it being the same part number on this site, but ya never know. Wait to here from others on it. In the meantime...<br /><br /> web page

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I believe you would need to change the upper shift rod out to make it work. I'm just going by comparing parts breakdown. The 83 shift rod connection is made lower than the 79'...behind the water intake screen. The 79' uses a shift rod coupling.

ok, I have both complete motors, can I use the shift rod and the lower unit from the 79 and into the 83? Or whould I have to buy a completely different part?....do you think this is worth bothering with? or would this turn into a $/time project?

DHPMARINE

Captain

$$$$ Looking at the pictures,the 1979 won't even bolt up to the 1983,reguardless of shift or anything else.<br /><br />DHP

G DANE

Commander

You can use the 1983 powerhead directly on the 1979 midsection and lowerunit. The 1979 has the little lid on side of midsection giving acces to the shift rod joint. I THINK the 83 midsection and 79 lower could mate, but see no way to solve the shift rod issue.

ob

Admiral

Have you considered just rebuilding the lower unit you have or is the case damaged?