Johnson 90 flywheel removal

Wcliff

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 18, 2018
Messages
9
I believe I have a spun bearing in this 1995 Johnson 90. I am about to pull the power head and open the crankcase. Do I need to pull the flywheel to do that? I assume so. If s, what kind of puller do I need?

Thanks for the help.
 

Attachments

  • photo299497.jpg
    photo299497.jpg
    971 KB · Views: 0

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Nov 5, 2009
Messages
20,826
You have to pull the flywheel. Look in an OMC service manual to find out what puller you need.
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,949
That is a looper engine.-----I believe a few bumps with a rubber mallet might lift it off.
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,949
Did the motor make a rattle noise ?---Checked lower unit ?-----Checked for loose bearing through sparkplug hole ?
 

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
15,938
Remove bolts and walk it up off roll pin. Be careful as the magnets will try to pull it back down and can be a finger masher.
 

Wcliff

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 18, 2018
Messages
9
Thanks! No knocking and lower end was just rebuilt. Just ground to a halt. Some metal shavings in one cylinder. Cylinder walls are smooth and well oiled. I’ll try some of your-all suggestions and see if I can smash a finger....
 
Top