Johnson 9.9 prop shaft seal removal

Jmac870

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 13, 2014
Messages
53
Hey guys, trying to replace the propeller shaft seal on my 1976 johnson 9.9 (10E76G). I cannot remove the bearing housing as use in salt water seems to have it frozen in. Leeroys Ramblings mentions using a puller or slide hammer with a screw on the end to screw into the seal and tap with a hammer to get it moving but I cannot find any type of puller like this. Is there any other way to get these seals out without going to a pro to have the bearing housing pulled as I am at least 2 hours away from a marine mechanic. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance
 

JDusza

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Joined
Apr 21, 2009
Messages
1,015
Re: Johnson 9.9 prop shaft seal removal

You might be able to destroy them with a chisel or screwdriver, enough to bend them and get them out. Be careful not to chew up the seal seating arrangement too much. You may also try a small drill through the seal and pulling it out with a metal hook. No doubt, they're a bit$%#!
J
 

Coachjfk

Seaman Apprentice
Joined
Aug 2, 2005
Messages
34
Re: Johnson 9.9 prop shaft seal removal

This is obviously different LU than you are working on. I have never done this but this is part 2 of a 3 part series that might help.

Audio is bad but you can see what he's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdlcXBxy_VY

Hey guys, trying to replace the propeller shaft seal on my 1976 johnson 9.9 (10E76G). I cannot remove the bearing housing as use in salt water seems to have it frozen in. Leeroys Ramblings mentions using a puller or slide hammer with a screw on the end to screw into the seal and tap with a hammer to get it moving but I cannot find any type of puller like this. Is there any other way to get these seals out without going to a pro to have the bearing housing pulled as I am at least 2 hours away from a marine mechanic. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance
 
Top